Planning new sockets - what to do with PC installation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just about to gut my office room and re-do it. Only two sockets in the room right now so I wish to get some more added.

Currently I have nine* things plugged in right under my desk, all of which are related to the PC. They are currently on a couple of plug boards, which is messy but which works OK.

Is it better to add, I dunno, maybe 3 or 4 double sockets right next to each other, or just persevere with the plug boards? Anyone got any neater solutions?

* PC, monitor, two hard drives, lamp, stereo, printer, house phone, router

Sponsored Links
I personally prefer multi-socket extensions for this type of application. You could get an extension with individually switched sockets. For neatness this could be screwed to the back of your desk out of sight.

For the hard disks - are these external expansion drives? You could replace these with either:
- USB powered devices (making sure your PC power supply is powerful enough - most are).
- internal hard disks in removable caddies (you may be able to re-use the internals of your external hard disks)

If the existing sockets are also under the desk I would get more added as the cable runs should be really easy. I have the same issue only my one socket is in a cupboard which makes it difficult to run cables to where I would want new sockets.

If it's going to be a permanent office/workshop why not put sockets in just above the desktop level - quite straightforward, no trailing wires, easily reached especially when you go into that wrong site by mistake.

I fitted out ours some years ago and installed a pull chord switch over my wifes knitting machine area.

Sponsored Links
All good information, thank you. Regarding the last suggestion, yes its an office (for which, read "playroom") for me but "we" want it as homely as possible. That means no tangle of cables, and almost certainly no sockets above the desk.

Is it a no-no to wire two devices into one physical plug? At least that would cut down on the actual number of plug holes required

I am not a professional but I would say never wire two into one plug; you can get multiple sockets.
You can get "cable tidies" to keep all cables off the floor, and if it's a playroom, use socketsafes to keep unwanted fingers off sockets/plugs.

What about a power strip fitted under your desk, with a single cable to the power point. Something like this, or you may need two. Can also get similar but with individual switches. The idea would be to have it fixed to the back panel of the desk so the wires aren't all in a snarl on the floor. If you kit uses standard C13 or C15 "kettle" leads then you could get short cables to further tidy it all.

http://www.cablenet.co.uk/cgi-bin/list.pl?Sku=42_2881

Depending how much plugs you need TLC sell 12 way sockets for around £20 they are bar style ones. I use them in my workshop and it makes for a very neat installation.

Right - thanks for the information - think I'll just stick with the big plug board, attached to the desk for tidiness. Easier than running loads of new sockets

If you're gutting the office: do it right, do it once.

I believe the general formula is s = 4a where the number of sockets you should install is the number of applicances x 4 :)

In my office I built a desk around three walls with cableline trunking around the top with power and cat 6a at regular intervals. Mirrored the accessories under the desk too. 20 double sockets in total (would have been 19 but there was an existing socket on one wall, so I added one to the opposing wall to maintain the line of symmetry down the centre of the office). Just about right for two people and my electronics area.

I also built a media area in the alcove under the stairs for all the AV gear. Four double sockets down the left and all the AV connectors down the right (cables to speakers, coax to the patch cab and HDMI to the HD projector). After some shifting spec, eight sockets is only just about enough.

I also speced out a lab with 16 double sockets to the point that they made me ask the spark for it since they thought it was spectacularly over the top. Now each socket has a plug in it and I'm enjoying having the last laugh :)

tl;dr: You'll need way more sockets than you think so stick a load in. Trailing sockets are an indication that someone can't spec properly :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back