What do you like and dislike about the GD Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
When someone posts an opinion, view or an argument, with which I disagree, I'll usually check up on my facts before posting an alternative viewpoint.

Why not just post your opinion??? There was a time when people did.

When it comes to the time that people have to google to have an opinion, that's surely the beginning of the end.

Battle of the best googler. It's nonsense.
Bores me bastard senseless.

One of the lads in work goes to a pub quiz every Tuesday night.
Apparently its fastest finger on the phone to get the answer that wins!
Tried telling him that's not a quiz, its a reaction test.

Sponsored Links
I'll usually check up on my facts before posting an alternative viewpoint.

Anyone who feels that they need to check with Google to assure themselves of their own opinion. Anyone who believes that the internet provides a definitive viewpoint.

When it comes to the time that people have to google to have an opinion, that's surely the beginning of the end.

I think it's obvious and very apparent what I said, "I check up on my facts." Do you see the difference now?
Anyone who thinks that one can adopt an opinion or view by searching for it on t'inetrnet is intentionally being provocative and misrepresenting what was said.
Or maybe the reader genuinely misunderstands. In which case they're reading through their hate-tinted spectacles.
Maybe that's the typical behaviour of trolls, when they are attempting to be covertly provocative.

Perhaps I ought to add another dislike: the intentional twisting and misrepresenting of what someone said.

I think it's obvious and very apparent what I said, "I check up on my facts."
Before you offer an alternative viewpoint is, I believe what you wrote.... Is a viewpoint a fact or an opinion?

Trying to twist things again huh?

So to recap, you trawl the internet to find opinions that reinforce your own opinion, then dress them up as facts..

So to recap, you trawl the internet to find opinions that reinforce your own opinion, then dress them up as facts..

I think he's obsessed with winning. If anybody dares post an opinion, he'll go in search of anything to discredit it.

He's always been like that.

Sponsored Links
Before you offer an alternative viewpoint is, I believe what you wrote.... Is a viewpoint a fact or an opinion?

Trying to twist things again huh?

I think he's obsessed with winning. If anybody dares post an opinion, he'll go in search of anything to discredit it.

He's always been like that.
What are viewpoints and opinions based on?
Facts!
Data!
Our experiences, which produce facts, as we see them!
Other people's experiences and anecdotes, which create facts as they see them! We may choose to discount some people's idea of what they call facts based on their political leanings, or previous misrepresentation, etc.

All these facts and experiences lead to our perception of the world around us.
In general, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
What distinguishes fact from opinion is that facts are verifiable, i.e. can be objectively proven to have occurred. ... An opinion may be supported by facts, in which case it becomes an argument, although people may draw opposing opinions from the same set of facts. Opinions rarely change without new arguments being presented. It can be reasoned that one opinion is better supported by the facts than another by analyzing the supporting arguments.....Collective or professional opinions are defined as meeting a higher standard to substantiate the opinion.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion

This is precisely why I check on my understanding of the facts, if I am not certain. It is why I provide links to sources which underpin my opinions. It is why other people have adopted those opinions, based on facts.
It is reassuring to see that one has assumed a similar opinion as wise and learned people. Sometimes I'll quote these other sources when facts are difficult to obtain or can be misrepresented.

What do you base your opinions on, if not facts?

Last edited:
Not much of a discussion though, is it, having to check Google before a reply.
That all depends on why one is discussing whatever it is, one is discussing.
I've already explained why I enjoy this forum. It's not some private vendetta, some egotistical motive that some have suggested. It's a learning experience, and a reassurance that one's opinions are still creditable, accurate and sensible.
... one of the reasons why I enjoy this forum: because it motivates one to clarify and validate one's views and opinions.
When someone posts an opinion, view or an argument, with which I disagree, I'll usually check up on my facts before posting an alternative viewpoint. This is what I find enjoyable, the broadening and deepening of one's own perception of the world around us. This forum, for me, motivates me to do so, but not necessarily on the subjects of my choosing.

What are viewpoints and opinions based on?
Facts!
Absolute nonsense. I think West Ham will beat Arsenal today. No anecdote, no facts, just opinion.
As an opinion, what is it based on?
If it's purely random, then it's not a deeply held belief, and not worthy of a discussion. What's more, if it's purely random, then you could be easily persuaded because your opinion has no substantiation.
If it's an opinion based simply on loyalty, then it becomes more of a biased or prejudiced opinion, than a sensible view based on credible evidence.

If it's purely random, then it's not a deeply held belief, and not worthy of a discussion.

OH, so when did you become the decision maker of whether someones opinion is worthy of discussion or not.:LOL: Ahhh, the pomposity of it.!!!!!!

What's more, if it's purely random, then you could be easily persuaded because your opinion has no substantiation.

Let's just assume i'm not easily persuaded, my opinion doesn't need substantiation. That's the point you flump. That's the beauty of opinion.

Was my opinion on West Ham beating Arsenal based on fact, ??? yes or no???:D

If it's purely random, then it's not a deeply held belief, and not worthy of a discussion.

OH, so when did you become the decision maker of whether someones opinion is worthy of discussion or not.:LOL: Ahhh, the pomposity of it.!!!!!!
If you wish to discuss, defend, argue your shallow opinions, then it's entirely up to you.
IMO, your shallow opinion is not worthy of discussion. That means that I wouldn't discuss it, others might, you might, I wouldn't!

So yet again, you've misinterpreted my comment. You've adorned me with some kind of overarching decision making. Very kind of you, but not very sensible. I don't think I'm worthy of your adulation.

What's more, if it's purely random, then you could be easily persuaded because your opinion has no substantiation.

Let's just assume i'm not easily persuaded, my opinion doesn't need substantiation.
Then it's an opinion based on myth, prejudice, bias, belief. Call it whatever you like, but it's not an opinion based on any factual or empirical evidence. Therefore it's not a creditable opinion.

That's the beauty of opinion.
Quite the reverse, IMO, that's the danger of an opinion not based on evidence, research, etc. It's not a credible opinion!
Resorting to insults does not add any additional weight or credibility to your opinion. On the contrary, it illustrates that your opinion is shallow and not credible.

Was my opinion on West Ham beating Arsenal based on fact, ??? yes or no???:D
I've no idea, it was your opinion. You want me to justify your opinions for you?
As far as I'm concerned it's not an opinion worthy of discussion. Therefore I don't care whether it was based on myth, fantasy, belief or hope.

As far as I'm concerned it's not an opinion worthy of discussion. Therefore I don't care whether it was based on myth, fantasy, belief or hope.

So you agree an opinion has f*ck all to do with being based on facts then???
I thought you said it was.???

Last edited:
If you wish to discuss, defend, argue your shallow opinions, then it's entirely up to you.
IMO, your shallow opinion is not worthy of discussion.

See, bloody rude you are.

ShallowBean.....I quite like it.!!!:D

that's the danger of an opinion

Breaking news.
-------------------------------------------------

Code Red cancelled.

Imminent danger has turned out to be just a bloke with an opinion.

Stand down, stand down.

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back