What do you like and dislike about the GD Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just mentioned to PBC, one of the reasons why I enjoy this forum: because it motivates one to clarify and validate one's views and opinions.

I think I have already mentioned before, that I usually check up on my opinion before posting a definitive viewpoint. Occasionally I don't because either I'm reasonably sure of my view or because it's a genuine exploratory discussion, and I might preface my view with a, "I think", or "I believe".

When someone posts an opinion, view or an argument, with which I disagree, I'll usually check up on my facts before posting an alternative viewpoint. This is what I find enjoyable, the broadening and deepening of one's own perception of the world around us. This forum, for me, motivates me to do so, but not necessarily on the subjects of my choosing.

What I dislike about this forum, mostly, and to me, it's the main criticism, is the resorting to offensive, or patently untrue accusations.
I know I'm guilty of name-calling and insults from time-to-time such as banter, and silly name-calling, like dullard, idiot, brainless, clown, and other such relatively harmless insults.

What I dislike is the ranting, repetitive, sometimes racially or sexually perverted accusations, or accusations of which no-one can possibly have the slightest evidence.
What I find even more distasteful is that some choose to support that kind of behaviour with thanks and likes allocated to those offensive comments.

Sponsored Links
What I like... Most of the guys here have a wealth of knowledge and experience and they know how to have banter... Their banter skills have been honed over many years and are very humorous, even if I don't agree with them

What I don't like... The hopeless and biased moderators who seem to go out of their way to wind many of the others up. Anyone who feels that they need to check with Google to assure themselves of their own opinion. Anyone who believes that the internet provides a definitive viewpoint.
I also dislike folk who feel that it is ok to insult other posters but feels offended when it is given back.. It may have escaped your attention but this is a site that attracts tradesmen who don't mind spending a few minutes of their free time to help others.. Some spend their working days cold, wet or up to their knees in mud and have little time for the professionally offended who's idea of hard work is trawling the internet

I have no issue with banter, but too often the threads are taken over by others whose only interest is to abuse each other and the moderators do nothing to stop it.

Sponsored Links
TBH, When I first posted, I was going to concentrate on the positives, and ignore the negatives. Then I realised I'd titled the post likes and dislikes, so I thought I'd better offer both views.

I was only commenting on GD Forum, not any other forum within this site.
I really wanted to avoid any discussion about moderation, as it's so difficult to do so without appearing to be critical.

I think everyone appreciates the difficulties associated with moderation. Sometimes, what may be considered as banter between some posters, it can quickly deteriorate into offensive, even bordering on the illegal, comments. I would have thought it's not easy to know when, precisely, to interfere.
As has been said before, the mods cannot be expected to read, and therefore tacitly sanction, every comment.

Surely a degree of self-moderation is the best way to improve the forum, and criticisms of mods does not help. I've mentioned, as an analogy, before that it's hardly an acceptable excuse to complain about crime because the police are not enforcing the law, whilst one continues to break the law.

I would have thought that the site is primarily designed to offer DIY advice to DIYers, rather than designed for the benefit of pros.
I do appreciate the site then relies on the advice and generosity of the pros, but it is not a site designed primarily for pros. Only one forum is limited to pros.

The GD forum: "Tired after all that DIY? Discuss or debate topical issues here." is not designed for pros to banter, or to insult each other.

The site, in general, probably attracts far more DIY-ers, who appreciate the advice of the pros. To argue that pros have honed their bantering skills, whereas DIYers haven't and should not be offended by pros bantering, seems to me, to be against the objectives of the site, in general (not withstanding the financial objectives). Pros do not have the monopoly over bantering, and DIYers do not have the monopoly over being offended.

One could draw another analogy: is it acceptable for teachers to argue that they are a role model for pupils, then to insult each other, and behave badly, in private?
Can one expect a degree of professional behaviour from the pros?

I don't wish to get into another argument, or offer opportunity for insults to be thrown around. I'm just speculating.

I don't care for the 'like' button on a debate forum as it often turns into a weapon. Other than that, I prefer forums with a light mod touch. Folks shouldn't be too thin skinned or take themselves so seriously.

Good, even-handed moderation will make a forum a much better experience for its users.
Yes, there's nothing like having a bad experience whilst foruming. Makes you feel like actually turning away from the screen. Some people have got that upset that they have ventured outdoors.

Good, even-handed moderation will make a forum a much better experience for its users.
Yes, there's nothing like having a bad experience whilst foruming. Makes you feel like actually turning away from the screen. Some people have got that upset that they have ventured outdoors.
I'll take your word for it (y)

Given that there are plenty of bell ends in the world (and the anonymity of the 'net exacerbates this), moderation is essential. Otherwise, the lunatics take over the asylum.

I don't expect the mods to read every thread. But there's no excuse for a thread to be allowed to fester over several pages by those wishing to play abusive ping pong. As all the abuse appears to be in the GD section, the mods don't need to look far.

All i want to know is, whether JamesAsus managed to hang the thing, he wanted to hang, on the wall yet. :D

When someone posts an opinion, view or an argument, with which I disagree, I'll usually check up on my facts before posting an alternative viewpoint.

Why not just post your opinion??? There was a time when people did.

When it comes to the time that people have to google to have an opinion, that's surely the beginning of the end.

Battle of the best googler. It's nonsense.
Bores me bastard senseless.

When someone posts an opinion, view or an argument, with which I disagree, I'll usually check up on my facts before posting an alternative viewpoint.

Why not just post your opinion??? There was a time when people did.

When it comes to the time that people have to google to have an opinion, that's surely the beginning of the end.

Battle of the best googler. It's nonsense.
Bores me bastard senseless.

I concur.

I don't expect the mods to read every thread. But there's no excuse for a thread to be allowed to fester over several pages by those wishing to play abusive ping pong. As all the abuse appears to be in the GD section, the mods don't need to look far.
Odd though Doug isn't it, that they are the threads that often seem to get the most views?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back