What do you like and dislike about the GD Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
A discussion with Himmy:

Himmy: What is the Queen's name?

Answer: Her name is Elizabeth.

H: What do you mean by is?

A: It is a common verb.

H: Who are you calling common? and "it" is not a verb.

A: I didn't say you were common but if the cap fits.

H: What have caps got to do with it? I've never seen the Queen wearing a cap.

A: I never said she did.

H: You brought caps into the discussion so I think you should back up your statement by supplying a link to verify your assertion that the Queen wears a cap - ad infinitum

Sponsored Links
Similarly, it's never a wrong opinion, in the true sense of the word. It may be a misguided, stupid, not credible opinion.
Please read the thread again and turn the stick around.
If you don't understand that, it means you have got hold of the wrong end of the stick.
Another vague meaningless comment, without justification or explanation.
If you're going to make such comments, without supporting them with a substantive argument, then it becomes a meaningless statement.
Not when read with the rest of the post.
I did say read the thread again - all of it.
That's a rather feeble and fragile response.
I wrote a lot of it. I'm fully aware of the whole thread, it's direction, it's proponents, it's circuitous arguments, it's silly comments, etc.

If anyone thinks wrong or stupid opinions are not opinions then so be it.
Only John has suggested that an opinion would not be an opinion, and I suspect he was being facetious along the same lines as you were with: 'an opinion is still an opinion.' He was expressing his opinion, facetiously.
No-one has said that a silly, stupid, unsubstantiated opinion or an opinion based on myth or fantasy is not an opinion.
What has been said many times over is that such an opinion is not a credible opinion! And as a not credible opinion, when aired publicly, is fair game to be challenged, discredited, etc.

I really do think you are being deliberately obtuse (there's a novelty) so there is no point explaining further.
I have no doubt you will accuse me of inadequacy, inability, cowardice and lots more but there is no point in trying to explain. It is obviously beyond you.
Try me!

It is all but impossible arguing when replies are said to be vague and meaningless and you veer off to tangential subjects and irrelevances.
But when replies are vague, meaningless, inaccurate, or based on untruths, misconceptions, etc, then they do fall into the category of being inadequate, etc.

Furthermore, when one's proponents start mythical conversations with themselves, on behalf of both parties, in an attempt at character assassination, it becomes farcical. It is obvious that you, on this occasion, have exhausted all logical and reasonable arguments.

But I think you're being a bit hard here with EFL. I mean, compared to me, DJ, LMB etc, he's a reasonably balanced ok kinda guy...
If one could give thanks (that has some reverential sound to it!:eek:) to a part of a post. I would have thanked you for part of your post. I might have just added a 'normally' reasonably balanced ok kinda guy.

I suppose, in hindsight, anyone, and everyone, compared to the likes of you, DJ, LMB, et al, is a reasonably balanced kinda guy. ;)

You "nearly" gave me a "thanks" Himmy!!
I feel both blessed and honored.

I may go and crack open a bottle of Bollinger & light up a Hamlet.
How are you anyway? - still being your usual irritating self?

Sponsored Links
I may go and ....... light up a Hamlet.
Watch your 'air on that G string!:)
It doesn't always bring 'appiness!

Thanks Himmy,

I anticipated that and de-tuned it to a G flat / F#......;)
Is that accurate?
Can you detune to a specific note? ;)
I would have thought that if you de-tuned, you wouldn't know what note it was.
Whereas, you re-tune to a different specific note.
You don't de-tune lower and re-tune higher, do you?

That's my opinion anyway.;) And I don't care if I'm proved wrong!

I have Jaques Loussier on vinyl playing Air on a G string on one of his albums.

I just bought a new stylus for the deck, I had to order one from USA, at a cost of som'at like £60 plus about £20 VAT when it arrived! I couldn't get one in UK!

Pedantic sod!

I suppose it is re-tuning to a different note. I used that term as you are also imo down-tuning / de-tuning as in the case above you are making the note lower than it was.

Decks! - mine has been in the loft for years! Move with the times matey......:mrgreen:

Naaah. Raising or lowering the pitch. Sharpening or flattening even. Not de-tuning or down-tuning.

Phono decks V CD or tape. (I still have a digital tape deck! I haven't bought any metal cased tapes for years. I'm not sure it's still possible to buy 'em.) Horses for courses. Convenience and risk of damage - bung a CD or tape on. Quality listening it's got to be vinyl.

I'd agree vinyl has a warmer / fuller sound. Digital can sound a bit clinical at times. Mind you, does depend on the cd player.
The more expensive ones go some way in emulating vinyl I've found. I don't think you can get the digital tape anymore - even blank mini disks are getting hard to find.

Pedantic sod!

I suppose it is re-tuning to a different note. I used that term as you are also imo down-tuning / de-tuning as in the case above you are making the note lower than it was.

Decks! - mine has been in the loft for years! Move with the times matey......:mrgreen:

Drop tuning. (y)

IMO vinyl has a wider sound, almost like the spectrum is wider. It also has a clearer sound, like it's easier to understand the vocals sometimes with vinyl.
Maybe it's subjective.

and new thre
I've just mentioned to PBC, one of the reasons why I enjoy this forum: because it motivates one to clarify and validate one's views and opinions.

I think I have already mentioned before, that I usually check up on my opinion before posting a definitive viewpoint. Occasionally I don't because either I'm reasonably sure of my view or because it's a genuine exploratory discussion, and I might preface my view with a, "I think", or "I believe".

When someone posts an opinion, view or an argument, with which I disagree, I'll usually check up on my facts before posting an alternative viewpoint. This is what I find enjoyable, the broadening and deepening of one's own perception of the world around us. This forum, for me, motivates me to do so, but not necessarily on the subjects of my choosing.

What I dislike about this forum, mostly, and to me, it's the main criticism, is the resorting to offensive, or patently untrue accusations.
I know I'm guilty of name-calling and insults from time-to-time such as banter, and silly name-calling, like dullard, idiot, brainless, clown, and other such relatively harmless insults.

What I dislike is the ranting, repetitive, sometimes racially or sexually perverted accusations, or accusations of which no-one can possibly have the slightest evidence.
What I find even more distasteful is that some choose to support that kind of behaviour with thanks and likes allocated to those offensive comments.
Well you asked for it, people like you and a couple of other recent members who seem to have monopolised the forum in the short time you have been on it and who have been responsible for causing some knowledgable and humorous members to leave.
As you will see from my record I am more of a watcher on the sidelines than a contributor but I have noticed the drop in the number of responses and new threads.
There used to be a number of wide ranging topics from many contributors but now.!
At the rate it is going you and your other mates will be the only ones left.
Switch off the lights when you leave.

and new thre
I've just mentioned to PBC, one of the reasons why I enjoy this forum: because it motivates one to clarify and validate one's views and opinions.

I think I have already mentioned before, that I usually check up on my opinion before posting a definitive viewpoint. Occasionally I don't because either I'm reasonably sure of my view or because it's a genuine exploratory discussion, and I might preface my view with a, "I think", or "I believe".

When someone posts an opinion, view or an argument, with which I disagree, I'll usually check up on my facts before posting an alternative viewpoint. This is what I find enjoyable, the broadening and deepening of one's own perception of the world around us. This forum, for me, motivates me to do so, but not necessarily on the subjects of my choosing.

What I dislike about this forum, mostly, and to me, it's the main criticism, is the resorting to offensive, or patently untrue accusations.
I know I'm guilty of name-calling and insults from time-to-time such as banter, and silly name-calling, like dullard, idiot, brainless, clown, and other such relatively harmless insults.

What I dislike is the ranting, repetitive, sometimes racially or sexually perverted accusations, or accusations of which no-one can possibly have the slightest evidence.
What I find even more distasteful is that some choose to support that kind of behaviour with thanks and likes allocated to those offensive comments.
Well you asked for it, people like you and a couple of other recent members who seem to have monopolised the forum in the short time you have been on it and who have been responsible for causing some knowledgable and humorous members to leave.
As you will see from my record I am more of a watcher on the sidelines than a contributor but I have noticed the drop in the number of responses and new threads.
There used to be a number of wide ranging topics from many contributors but now.!
At the rate it is going you and your other mates will be the only ones left.
Switch off the lights when you leave.

Interesting post.

So Himmy, you're answer is?.......................3-2-1........Go!!

To be honest, I don't know who else Anobium is referring to, other than Himmy.
But, it is pretty quiet on here now......:sleep:

I'm back from my hols.....missed owt?
Yeah! we've had some absolutely glorious weather, sunshine, high 20 degrees, bit of a drought, kids splashing in the public fountains to cool down, shortage of ice-creams, glorious sunsets, etc.
I dunno why you went away.;)

I thought anobium was moaning about us chasing you away, I can't think who else he was referring to, good to see it's not true.

I think he's missing gasbag's threads. :eek:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back