What Do You Think, Right or Wrong Stop????

we had armed response to a job when a guy tried to run over a few of our guys .
They were there within minutes got the guy cuffed and ready to go when local plod turn up .
3 of us in badged up overalls leaning against a big sign written National grid van local plod come running straight up to my black mates face . Mate points at his badge and says f@@k off mate i work for them . Oh sorry then spot the guy already in cuffs . seeing is believing attitude held by some

When was this - the reason I ask is police force is now a much better force than 20+ years ago

Sponsored Links
about 6 years ago
thanks, yes it still goes on but we are all for stop n search, ie targetting whatever group needs to be targetted, by group i mean appearance/clothing/car driver etc that has been reported re crime in the area. This needs to be done with respect and the person stopped must be advised reason of stop and the person/s stopped must repsond in a respectful way as well.

you have yo have a valid reason

If you read the article they have one. Sad but true. Police see crime as part of daily life. I suppose some think they don't, just sit around all day doing nothing. It causes them to have what could be called opinions. It will influence who they decide to use the Sus law on. There will be more of it in some areas than others.

TBH I wonder how effective it is or if it's one of showing presence aspects in the impossible task of achieving zero crime. On the other hand if 1 in a 1,000 stops are worth while..........................

I do think there can be a problem with people of all colours who are stopped. The person that has stopped them has a law and a job to do. Complying and being polite is likely to be a better option than ranting and raving. Do that and they may demonstrate all of the things they are entitled to do - they have even more reason. You could have some aspect to hide.

Sponsored Links
At a time of heightened national security, I don't think it's unreasonable to stop and search a man wearing a thick coat in hot weather.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that he could have been concealing a suicide vest, machete or other weapon, especially in London.

At a time of heightened national security, I don't think it's unreasonable to stop and search a man wearing a thick coat in hot weather.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that he could have been concealing a suicide vest, machete or other weapon, especially in London.

Never mind the hightened security, an officer of the la has every right to stop someone suspicious. Wearing a thick coat in very warm weather would look out of place to me and in certain setting if I was an officer of the law, I'd stop them

not sure if people are aware but routine stop n searches often lead to bigger finds, EG, stopped for speeding, driving without due care.../ failed light/s/etc and when car searched or driver checked more often than not it leads to other stuff.

I do think there can be a problem with people of all colours who are stopped. The person that has stopped them has a law and a job to do. Complying and being polite is likely to be a better option than ranting and raving. Do that and they may demonstrate all of the things they are entitled to do - they have even more reason. You could have some aspect to hide.

Exactly what I sadi and do.

Officers have a job to do and like any professional some do it better than others, fact!!

I've had a problem with officers a couple of times when younger and 2 times I felt/knew the officer was wrong. I told him/them why I felt he was wrong - I noted quickly I'm getting nowhere and may lead to cocky comments or worse. I reported my concerns to the chief and both times the head of police came out on my side and x 2 apology

About 35+ years ago I was speeding on a Sunday, sunny afternoon down a wide main road in my 3.0GT Capri - cops coming out of side road started to follow me, I clocked them as i went past took foot off the accelerator, my parents home was around the corner - as i pulled up on the drive they pulled up behind me and said I was speeding and I said "was I" and the sergeant raised his voice and said "you were" and I apologised striahgt away. They were ok asked me to produce my papers which were inside - we lived in a close and people came out and dad who was not happy with me - they saw all was in order and told me not to do it again and I thanked them

So being polite and apologitic as long as you've not really done something really bad often helps and where you feel you are wrongly picked on/etc - take it to the top as its not worth arguing with them once they have made their minds up.

I've noted the more senior experience an officer is the more likely they are very fair.

The temperature in Croydon on that day
https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/uk/croydon/historic

was between 17/18/15 C. It's not clear what time he was stopped.

while I know that I am a T shirt kind of bloke all year round, my Mum, even when she was younger than me, was frozen without a coat.
I happen to have friends who live abroad and dress like eskimos when they visit me in summer.

IMHO he was reasonably dressed for the weather.
As Billy C says
"there's no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing"

Perfectly reasonable to ask him.
Intuition is a very valuable resource, I never ignore it.
The cops were evidently right in this case, there was something wrong - if only that the guy was an a_hole. His comments show it.

I've been stopped when I was younger and then possibly once in my 30's and once again in my early 40s.
They stopped me as they felt I was going too quickly this is twice when I was a lot younger ie under the agge of 21 not as many cars around then - they asked me if it was my car etc and I gave straight answers as they are only doing their job and I apologised if I was going faster and di not realise and left to get on with my F1 driving.

Officers often ask "is this your vehicle/car" and to waste their time with jokes ect is not on

My OH is not white and he has been stopped on the odd occasion and the officer treat my OH with respect as does my OH

Never forget even the hard people men and women around here etc may need the help of the police one day.

As long as officers tell you the reason and are polite, I could not be bothered as they are doing their job

Me, my family, our friends and most of the people I worked with are all for = Stop & Search!!!!
Police nowadays only go after law abiding citizens.
I used to respect them but then I experienced corruption, lies, aggression and victim blaming.
They now go out of their way to protect criminals.
I found that acting as a criminal makes them back down and be extremely respectful.
Last time I was stopped for apparently running a red light, I was asked if I was known to the police.
I said: "Yes, I'm marked as a Mafia member".
The attitude changed immediately.
Mate became Sir and the patronising attitude stopped immediately.
After they did their checks they wanted to give me 3 points.
Their face dropped when I pointed out I had a dashcam which was still recording including the audio.
They couldn't have been more apologetic.
"Everybody makes mistakes... we're only humans... we thought you passed a red light...I hope this doesn't affect your view about the police... blah blah blah"
I abruptly told them to get lost.
They did.
Moral of the story: if I'd acted as himmy suggests, I would've got 3 points of my license just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
A lot of boll@x!

If I was a copper and saw black dudes in summer in puffers, low slung jeans and outrageous trainers, I would be inclined to stop them and offer fashion advice rather than searching.

Bear in mind that Noel Gallagher seemed to be surgically attached to his jackets even in high summer.
He must have stunk after a gig

Sponsored Links
Back