What does an ignition key actually do?.

Sponsored Links
Yes the key is a security feature stopping unauthorised turning on of the switch, which in turn provides power to the ignition coil, or shorts out supply to magneto.

It has lent it's name to any other similar security device which may be fuel cutoff.

My wife had a Nissan Micra once, we had occasional problems with the ignition key, she had to turn it really hard to get it to turn on.
I ended up changing the switch block.
That sorted the issue.

But this does sound like one of your keys is faulty, perhaps worn or needs recoding.

Modern ignition key fobs (the plastic part) contain a tiny ID chip inside them, the size of a grain of rice. These are similar to the ones injected into cats and dogs for ID purposes. The ID chip needs no battery, because the lock has a loop of wire around it, which interrogates the chip.

If the chip is missing, or doesn't respond, or responds with the wrong code - the ignition system will be inhibited. Some vehicles make it obvious the inhibitor is preventing starting, some do not..

Some vehicles allow cranking, but inhibit actual starting. Some disable both cranking and starting.

The ID chip can be deliberately prevented from responding, by wrapping some kitchen foil around the plastic part of the key.

One botch was to bypass the inhibitor system by glueing the chip next to the ignition switch, so a perfectly ordinary cut key could be used, without need for a chip.

Sponsored Links
One botch was to bypass the inhibitor system by glueing the chip next to the ignition switch, so a perfectly ordinary cut key could be used, without need for a chip.
Yeah, I’ve had Fords with extremely worn keys and cable tied the worn key under the steering column shroud and used just a standard key.

ericmark, mattylad, Harry Bloomfield. Many thanks, that's the things I was wondering about, if in fact a key could be duff. After I took note of the small damage I began to pay more attention and although it sometimes worked, when it didn't I felt it almost seemed as though the immobiliser was on. I dont actually know how or when the damage happened, probably in my pocket with odd tools!.

Attachments

• van key.jpg
    van key.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Yeah, I’ve had Fords with extremely worn keys and cable tied the worn key under the steering column shroud and used just a standard key.

Only a problem, if your vehicle is stolen and you need to make a claim. The mechanical ignition lock is easily defeated, which is why the ID chip was used to improve the security.

Sponsored Links
Back