What does an ignition key actually do?.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've had an intermittent starting problem for a while with an 11 reg. Trafic van. Sometimes everything lights up on the dashboard, everything will operate, except the starter, cant hear a click from the solenoid. I'm beginning to suspect one of the ignition keys, what functions does the key actually do?. Could it be doing or not doing something to prevent starting?. Both key batteries have been replaced.

Sponsored Links
Most keys have a chip in them and the battery is normally only for the remote locking/unlocking. Sounds to me like you possibly have an ignition switch or starter solenoid problem. I’d start by seeing if you have a live coming out of the switch when the starter is operated, if no, replace the switch, if yes, then check you are getting a feed to the starter. If feed is getting to starter, replace the starter.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem with a Jaguar XE, new battery, into the agents many times, in the end the RAC man found the problem, sounded so daft wife not pressing the brake peddle hard enough.

Seems idea is if your pressing brake peddle then if in gear it can jump forward and brake works be it auto or manual where clearly no clutch on an auto.

Oh as to ignition key, only petrol cars have them, and it controls if the spark plugs work or not, old cars often the starter and ignition key completely independent. I remember driving a diesel, and I came to stop, and could not find the engine stop anywhere, in the end turned the key, and it stopped, first time I had ever seen a diesel with an electric stop.

Last edited:
Diesel vehicles have a transponder chip in the key too....the transmitter for which is usually wrapped around the ignition lock barrel.
Sadly, the external solenoid stop - and the mechanical lever - have long gone. The diesel cut off is now deep in the pump hidden behind many security bolts.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I had a similar problem with a Jaguar XE, new battery, into the agents many times, in the end the RAC man found the problem, sounded so daft wife not pressing the brake peddle hard enough.

Same here with a brand new scooter I bought. I wasn’t squeezing the brake lever hard enough! I thought they were fobbing me off because the brake light was coming on. Then they told me to listen carefully while squeezing the lever and I heard one 'click' and the brake light came on and then a further squeeze and I heard the second 'click' and the starter would operate when the button was pressed. I made my apologies and left. :whistle:

Same here with a brand new scooter I bought. I wasn’t squeezing the brake lever hard enough! I thought they were fobbing me off because the brake light was coming on. Then they told me to listen carefully while squeezing the lever and I heard one 'click' and the brake light came on and then a further squeeze and I heard the second 'click' and the starter would operate when the button was pressed. I made my apologies and left. :whistle:
You should have got a Lambretta and you'd have proper gears as well!

Noooooooooooh!!!!!!!!!
Yep. I’ve had it from new since 2009 and apart from one recall for a new ecu and keys, it’s been no problem. SH300i :)

Its got more than a few battle scars now as I’ve been knocked off of it three times but it’s actually cost me nothing! I paid £3,500 for it and I’ve had £4,950 back from other people's insurance companies and all I’ve really replaced has been two screens and a number plate!

Its got more than a few battle scars now as I’ve been knocked off of it three times but it’s actually cost me nothing! I paid £3,500 for it and I’ve had £4,950 back from other people's insurance companies and all I’ve really replaced has been two screens and a number plate!
Three times!!! Sounds like you're knocking on heavens door!

Three times!!! Sounds like you're knocking on heavens door!
Walked away from one of them, taken to hospital on the other two. One was 2 days before a water sports holiday in Turkey. I was a bit stiff! Had to watch all my friends hopping on and off of all sorts of windsurfers and sail boats. Other drivers insurance company phoned me up on holiday and settled up over the phone!

Well, I'm 99% sure this slightly damaged key is the one causing the random non starting problem. Any suggestions why?
Could it be failing to disable the immobiliser?

Are you saying it starts every time with one key but not the other one?

Sponsored Links
Back