What Dying Is Like

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First of all, I DO NOT want to invite comments like those posted in the locked thread. I merely wanted to post comment on what it is like, having been through it. Mad? No, I'm serious!

See this previous post:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=762602#762602

Obviously this was not caused by serious injury from blade, firearm or impact, so there was no element of terror from that.

Sponsored Links
Dying I can imagine would be like that feeling when you are over tired and your dozing off and you feel like you are falling but your not....only it lasts longer.

Dying I can imagine would be like that feeling when you are over tired and your dozing off and you feel like you are falling but your not....only it lasts longer.

I know the feeling you mean, but I didn't experience it then. Not saying it doesn't happen, just that I didn't feel it.

I knew I was in big trouble and that I was going to die, but I felt extremely calm and peaceful: just accepting of it, I suppose.

BTW, I don't believe in any God, so that didn't affect my experience.

BTW, I don't believe in any God, so that didn't affect my experience.
There are many people who claim to having a "god" related experience at the moment of death (and subsequently revived like yourself).

Although one wouldn't wish to veer this thread down a religious discussion, it does make one ponder about whether it really is just an illusion :confused:

But let's not go there :oops: :oops:

Sponsored Links
Well, I think that if you are a believer, that could colour what goes through your mind when close to death.

OTOH, the latest research reckons that electrical activity in the brain just prior to death surges and this could be the cause of these near-death experiences.

it does make one ponder about whether it really is just an illusion :confused:

Whether what is just an illusion?

EDIT: Sorry, just re-read your post. You mean the near-death experience is an illusion?

I would say so, based on the research. Could the surge in electrical activity generate thoughts and images and even feelings?

I was convinced I could see my boys, despite the fact they weren't there, nor were my eyes open at all during the episode.

OTOH, the latest research reckons that electrical activity in the brain just prior to death surges and this could be the cause of these near-death experiences.

Presumably this applies to the electric chair aswell then ????????????? ;) :LOL:

No, because the electrical activity referred to in the latest research is generated by the brain, not applied to it.

I was convinced I could see my boys, despite the fact they weren't there, nor were my eyes open at all during the episode.
The even more curious situation arises when distant relatives "see" or "hear" you at the moment of death, even though there is a significant physical distance.

If the final thoughts/visions are created by what may be (without wishing to draw "Star Trek" comments!) the body throwing all it's energy supplies into the brain to create electrical surges, and since electricity travels at the speed of light, I wonder if there is a complex, but non-deitic, explanation for this phenomena.

Sorry if I'm digressing a little, but it is related.

I'll see if I can find the article in question...

EDIT:

Voila!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...d-explain-near-death-experiences.html[/QUOTE]

I too read this article. Very interesting too.
I see that some cardiac units have started putting pictures face up on high shelves to find out if people that have out of body experiences could tell researchers what was on the picture after they had been revived.
They could/would only see them if they had a true OOB experience.

"I went to hospital about 18m ago, and a had an injection & suffered massive anaphalaxia.

My blood pressure plummeted to virtually zero & I briefly died, but was resussed by a crash team of 11 doctors & nurses."

I had exactly the same problem with some blood thickening agent to stop bleeding after surgery - but I don't remember anything. I just woke up with a team of 10 medics staring at me,

IIRC, there have been several instances of people describing stuff in the room that they could not have seen from their position.

Also, I think I read somewhere that the body loses an inexplicable amount of weight at the time of death. Hmmm, guess it could all be bollax, but I'm a firm believer, that we know a lot less about things than we think.

Technological singularities ......... snigger.

Also, I think I read somewhere that the body loses an inexplicable amount of weight at the time of death. .

22 grams

When you die, seconds later you lose 22 grams in weight, no one knows why - the believers say its your soul leaving your body.

that would be the weight of the air in your lungs as your muscles relax and you expell your dying breath..

also possibly the voiding of your bladder and bowels, again through muscles relaxing..

I've never died, but I have had something similar on 2 seperate occasions..

both involve the gulping of a liquid ( milk in one case, cola the other.. no drugs or alcohol involved.. )
I took a rather large swallow and it hurt in my throat.
it must have pushed the blood the wrong way down my coroted arteries or something because both times I felt like I was falling.. my vision narrowed to darkness ( like old tv's used to go off.. the picture collapsing into the center of the screen and then going black. ) and I passed out.

my friends who were with me both told me that I just slumped and stopped breathing for a few seconds..
one of them was just dialing 999 as I came round.. he thought I'd had a heart attack or something as I dropped the bottle of cola on the floor.. ..

Sponsored Links
Back