What exactly can I DIY without notifying buildings dept?

I did and couldn't believe the answer.

I mean all it involves is unscrewing the face plate, unscrewing the screws holding it to the cabinet and then screwing it to the wall and putting the face plate back on.

I suppose it must come under the alteration one as its not an extension or an addition.

I know, I know but then the problem is where do you draw the line ?

Sponsored Links
1. Work consisting of-
(a) replacing any fixed electrical equipment which does not include the provision of -
(i) any new fixed cabling; or
(ii) a consumer unit;
(c) re-fixing or replacing enclosures of existing installation components, where the circuit protective measures are unaffected;

If his BCO think that doesn't apply then they can't read.

jacksD - just ignore them - they are idiots.

He isn't fixing back to original surface so some would argue it is an alteration.
OK - let them argue that.

Then let them show you what the Building Regulations say about alterations.

Sponsored Links
1. Work consisting of-
(a) replacing any fixed electrical equipment which does not include the provision of -
(i) any new fixed cabling; or
(ii) a consumer unit;
(c) re-fixing or replacing enclosures of existing installation components, where the circuit protective measures are unaffected;

If his BCO think that doesn't apply then they can't read.

jacksD - just ignore them - they are idiots.

He isn't fixing back to original surface so some would argue it is an alteration.
OK - let them argue that.

Then let them show you what the Building Regulations say about alterations.

thats all well and good but he isnt refixing he is re-siting the socket and as you point out RE-SITING isn`t one of the things mentioned

jacksD - just ignore ban all sheds, it isnt him who has to carry the responsibility (or the legal fee`s), its between you and your BCO, his problem is its easy to sit at a PC and be pedantic when its just his interpretation

All, Thanks for your help. Very interesting.

The reason I ask is I'm having a disagreement with my kitchen fitter and wanted to know if the worst came to the worst could I just do it myself. If it gets to that point I imagine the kitchen fitter would tip of the BCO about what I've done so I wanted to know where I stand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back