What happened to the 'element of surprise'?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
re the war in Afghanistan. Just read this:
Senior military officers have warned the British public to 'steel itself' for large numbers of casualties ahead of the launch of the largest offensive in the eight-year Afghanistan war.

Some 4,000 UK troops will take part in bloody fighting this week alongside the biggest air assault since the first Gulf War of 1991 is launched.

Some are even calling it the biggest assault of its kind since Vietnam, four decades ago.
A strike force of 15,000 British, U.S. and Afghan troops will launch a series of daring raids into the most dangerous areas of central Helmand over the next few days as part of Operation Moshtarak - which means 'together' in the local Dari language.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...tle-Taliban-2001.html?ITO=1708&referrer=yahoo

Perhaps it's a bluff? The Art of War (Sun Tzu), stated...

Sun Tzu emphasises the importance of deception. When you are competent appear incompetent. Though effective appear ineffective. The element of surprise is so important for victory with maximum efficiency and depends on knowing others while being unknown to others, so secrecy and misdirection are considered essential arts.
Let's hope that's the case! :confused:

Sponsored Links
Knowing this government?

Whilst subterfuge and mis-information are good tactics I still firmly believe in the 'surprise' element being crucial in any battle. Why advertise what you intend doing, or do they want a clear conscience if it goes wrong?

re The Art of War (Sun Tzu), stated...

Who's been watching Gordon Gekko on Wall St then? ;)

The statement would have been released for propoganda purposes to boost our morale and hit the Taliban supporters. A lot more people will be killed! :cry:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that Blas,
we really can't keep the Tali in the dark can we, most un-sporting old chap!

On a serious note, was watching a programme the other night about the army over there. They were transporting supplies from Camp Bastion to Nad Ali which is only about 18miles away. It took them nearly 36 hours to get there! They had to scout for IED's, possible ambushes when they came to a village and then 3 lorries took a wrong turning right into Taliban held terrirtory, crashed one of the lorries into the canal and while the 3rd went for help, (carrying the senior officer), the remaining lorry with 3 lads and 1 girl, all inexperienced came under heavy fire from the Tali's. Thankfully they got out in one piece but lost the lorry that was hit with an RPG.
Now I don't wish to appear cynical but if they can't plan a 18 mile drive across the desert without someone getting lost what are the chances of planning a major assault? I really fear for those soldiers out there.

The aim is to drive the taliban out of helmand,if they pre warn them then there is the chance that some will leave knowing the size of the force that is coming their way. ;)

are they giving them fair warning to try and keep the casualties on both sides to a minimum?..
if you know that an overwhelming force is going to be coming in a few days, you clear out..
but then there's the flip side that the leaving force will "poison the well" so to speak and probably leave a load of IED's and booby traps everywhere..
or they might be brave enough or stupid enough to stay and set up ambushes... the result of which will be a few of our guys dead and half the city leveled by the bombing the allies will call in to get rid of enemy strongholds..

Well a teleban on the body bags coming home over the next few years might not be a bad idea although I suspect that ban is already in place by our muppet masters.

The aim is to drive the taliban out of helmand,if they pre warn them then there is the chance that some will leave knowing the size of the force that is coming their way. ;)
That doesn't achieve anything other than 'moving the enemy' though Simon.

I watched that program too conny. It must be hell having to creep along looking for IEDs etc. They were sitting ducks.

Taking Simon's point above, it does make you wonder whether we have ANY strategy/have had any strategy to wipe out the Taliban? I fail to see the point in moving them on. Gypsies get moved on all the time... they're still out there!

Somehow, I can't see that the government would want to spend all that money on this operation, nor get involved in a potential bloodbath just prior to a gen election.

So, I think the real element of "surprise" is that they are going to do precisely nothing.

Dex and Blas why do you have private profiles?
Are you afraid of people sifting through your previous posts?

it does make you wonder whether we have ANY strategy/have had any strategy to wipe out the Taliban?
Can they be wiped out or is the aim to keep on at them until they are ready to talk.whether we like it or not the only way a relative peace was brought to N Ireland was by talking with and no doubt giving into demands from both sets of para military's.G Brown and his ilk including Dave boy keep on about bringing democracy to Afghanistan but what shining light of democracy do we bring when Brown and his second in command (Mandleson)are both unelected.Bring the troops home now and stop the waste of our lads lives.

Sponsored Links
Back