What Has he done?

S

Shutpa

Five years ago we extended and yesterday I decided fit a socket for my computer by adding a spur from a socket in the utility room. We have no ceiling light in this room so use a table lamp plugged into a mains socket. This light was on before I switched off the 'sockets down' and was still on after I switched the power off. Leaving the sockets down still off, I then switched off the 'sockets up'. The lamp stayed on. I then switched each switch off in turn even including the oven and the smoke detector. When all switches were in the down (off) position, the light was still on. It was only when I switched off the mains switch that the light went out.

The electrician who installed the electrics in our extension and who had his own small company in town, has since moved away.
Can anyone give me a clue as to what could be happening here?

Although I would like to know what the cause could be, I will be calling in a pro to remedy the problem.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like he's wired it directly off the main switch, which is very dangerous. I wonder if he was in a hurry to get back to feed his horse?

While the electrician is there, get him to put a ceiling light in as well.

Sounds like he's wired straight off the main isolation switch feed.

Any photos? Have you a islolation switch or an RCD before the fuseboard?

Do you feel comfortable about taking the fuse board cover off and taking a picture? (Being ultra careful of course)

Thanks for the replies guys. Clearly you are correct in saying that he has made a direct connection to the switch. The question is why? He extended the ring downstairs to include the new kitchen, utility room, cupboard but not this room which backs on to the utility room.
Bas wrote:
"I wonder if he was in a hurry to get back to feed his horse"? You could be right. She is a bit on the big side.

"get him to put a ceiling light in as well"....................I can fit a bulb but keep forgetting to buy one!

Chivers wrote:
"Do you feel comfortable about taking the fuse board cover off and taking a picture"? ...................I would be scared to take a picture with the cover on mate.
:LOL:

Sponsored Links
Sounds like he's wired it directly off the main switch, which is very dangerous. I wonder if he was in a hurry to get back to feed his horse?

While the electrician is there, get him to put a ceiling light in as well.

or there is another board somewhere else - Hmm?

chivers67";p="1351452 said:
The question is why?
Because he is incompetent.

My guess is that he probably used that socket when the power was off to save time and never got round to putting it in the right place, did he wear a Stetson too
:LOL:

Think you're right. Sparky tells me that the cable in question was clearly meant to be used as a temporary power supply which somehow became permanent. Sorted now and at £55 no moans from me. Now about that light bulb.......... :idea: can I copy and paste it from the screen to the light fitting????????
Thanks for the replies ;)

My guess is that he probably used that socket when the power was off to save time and never got round to putting it in the right place.
He had it on the load side of the incomer:
It was only when I switched off the mains switch that the light went out.
So it wouldn't have worked unless that was on, in which case how hard would it have been to put it on an MCB?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back