What have you been doing today?

Sponsored Links
I had an FE Ventora……
I talked my mum into buying an FE VX 4/90 as I liked to borrow it of a night time. She had it when I first met Mrs Mottie-to-be. I invited her to a party the night after first meeting her but the next day I realised I had invited a girl I met on holiday that I was loosely going out with so I thought I’d call Mrs Mottie-to-be again until after the party to arrange a date. Unfortunately, my mate had invited Mrs Mottie-to-be's mate, the message got mixed up and she brought Mrs Mottie-to-be along with her. Anyway, long story short, I was attempting to explain the situation to her at the party when the girl I came with came over and punched me straight in the face and stormed out. I took it like a man and spent the rest of the evening with Mrs Mottie-to-be. Unbeknown to me though, after storming out, the girl I went with kicked in every lamp on my mums car (she didn’t know it was my mums) and a couple of the door panels. Lesson learned! I never saw her again.

Talking about easy, for a big car they must have had the easiest gearboxes and clutches in the world to do.
The TK's were the same - 4 bolts holding the box to the bell housing and a tin clutch pan cover to remove and drop the clutch out of the bottom. I think I still have somewhere in my garage those special cranked spanners that we used to undo the two lower inward facing bolts inside the bell housing on many Vauxhalls (and CF's) that I nicked when I left the Vauxhall dealership.

I had an FE Ventora, I think I paid £60 for it. I sold it on a Saturday to a guy who was in the pub. He replied to my advert by phoning the house and saying he wanted to buy it. I drove it to the pub, he came out, we exchanged the money and keys, he went back into the pub to continue his drinking without even looking at the car. I wish they were all that easy.
Talking about easy, for a big car they must have had the easiest gearboxes and clutches in the world to do.

Well that's three of us had a Ventora, almost enough to form an ex-owners club. Loverly torquey motor.

I’ve got those spanners somewhere too. I lent them to someone and when I got them back, one of them had been cut in half and welded back together. Apparently, he couldn’t get it to fit, arse!

Sponsored Links
I fitted higher capacity ones, and have a few spares ready charged to swap when we have dull cloudy spells.

Seems to rather defeat the object, to have to keep fitting new batteries.

Solar might work in countries with solar in the day, so they can charge ready for the night, but that country is not the UK in winter.

Solar might work in countries with solar in the day, so they can charge ready for the night, but that country is not the UK in winter.
I've just got back from there. As it was getting darker, three solar lights came on on one members three sheds. The plot owner's garden actually backs on to the allotment so I’ll have to ask him how long they stay on for.

Anyway, I’ve planted some lettuce seeds in the greenhouse - maybe I’ll get some winter lettuce.

I harvested some veg while I was there. Red cabbage and Beetroot which I’m going to pickle, butternut squash for some soup, spuds, carrots and parsnips.

110DA70A-0713-49E2-8719-72C3E899FCD3.jpeg

I talked my mum into buying an FE VX 4/90 as I liked to borrow it of a night time. She had it when I first met Mrs Mottie-to-be. I invited her to a party the night after first meeting her but the next day I realised I had invited a girl I met on holiday that I was loosely going out with so I thought I’d call Mrs Mottie-to-be again until after the party to arrange a date. Unfortunately, my mate had invited Mrs Mottie-to-be's mate, the message got mixed up and she brought Mrs Mottie-to-be along with her. Anyway, long story short, I was attempting to explain the situation to her at the party when the girl I came with came over and punched me straight in the face and stormed out. I took it like a man and spent the rest of the evening with Mrs Mottie-to-be. Unbeknown to me though, after storming out, the girl I went with kicked in every lamp on my mums car (she didn’t know it was my mums) and a couple of the door panels. Lesson learned! I never saw her again.

That story bears an uncanny similarity to an experience I had when I was 20 years old. The only difference was that it occurred in a nighclub, as I walked over to a girl to explain my presence after having told her 2 hours previously I wasn't going out, she caught me on the side of the head with her handbag. **** knows what she had in the bag, a brick I suspect, but it literally floored me, a technical knockout. As I came round I thought I was badly injured because my mate Stan was bent over me on the floor crying, then I realised it was tears of laughter.
Couple of years ago she sent me a friend request on facebook., I mentioned the incident but she claims she can't remember it.

That’s my Christmas beetroot and red cabbage pickled. I might do some more for friends and family - they all love my own-grown produce.

EC05026F-01C4-430B-B5EB-040C8134F1BD.jpeg

Out for my usual walk over the woods and didn’t see a single mushroom despite all the damp warm weather we’ve had over the last couple of days. Came home, parked up and spotted these - in my neighbours front garden!

34E18255-BC89-47D1-9727-6C22C6B8B3A9.jpeg

I was almost tempted to pick them and fry them up for my breakfast. Almost. :unsure:

Seems to rather defeat the object, to have to keep fitting new batteries.

This might be usage dependent though. For example, if you have a solar security light and want it on from dusk until dawn, then I agree it might struggle. However in my scenario, the light is only triggered for 2 mins duration if the pir senses movement. So I would have thought, even if the days are quite dull, it would hold and get enough charge to keep functioning?

I know one or two people that say they've had them for 2-3 years without issue, so at least some of the models on sale must be half decent.

Just cleared out the understairs cupboard. A proper clear out, right up to the underneath of the first step - I don’t think I’ve been that far in for ages! I had to clear boxes of light bulbs, vacuum cleaners, an ultrasonic cleaner, thermal wellington boots and other assorted junk. I found three pairs of new boots that I must have bought yonks ago. Two pairs of Dickies and a pair of Scarpa Terra GTX hiking boots - my favourites. I think I got those in exchange for a faulty pair that had a small leak but I must have bought another pair while I was waiting for the manufacturer to examine them. I guess I can retire my old worn out DM's now and not before time - I’m always in danger of slipping when I put my foot down in the wet when stopping on my commuter scooter. Happy days! :giggle:

0D7C30D4-6A6F-4A96-A07D-82A5991C7CE7.jpeg

Edit: Feck me, I’ve just looked online and those three pairs of boots would cost me £325 if I were to buy them today - £75 a pair for the Dickies and £175 for the Scarpa's! I'm well chuffed.

Last edited:
Out for my usual walk over the woods and didn’t see a single mushroom despite all the damp warm weather we’ve had over the last couple of days. Came home, parked up and spotted these - in my neighbours front garden!

View attachment 284856

I was almost tempted to pick them and fry them up for my breakfast. Almost. :unsure:
Looks like they are growing on the roots of that shrub. Honey fungus does that, but looks different (and kills them)

Sponsored Links
Back