What have you been doing today?

With my Dad this time.
20221117_134233.jpg

Sponsored Links
Had to pop over to the Velodrome today. Normally I go by motorbike but it was too wet and windy so I went by train. Whenever I go by train and it’s raining, I usually find a brolly or two on the train and today was no
exception. A nice size this one though - fitted perfectly in my man-bag. ;)

C69E2093-2741-42B7-B034-BA4E4637F2B2.jpeg

It's a bloody long walk from Stratford station to the Velodrome so I usually hop on a Boris bike but today I thought I’d try a short cut. It was nothing but! I got lost and eventually recognised a bridge that I go over on my bike so I walked the road route. Who'd want to live over that **** hole? And look at the price of a one-bed apartment where people walk past your only 'outside space'!

6008FD66-01AB-4795-9A82-DC30CFAF17F4.jpeg

On the way back, I finally found the short cut and was at the station in no time but look at this funky block of flats - I’m amazed that it stays up!

0EFA1EA2-75F7-451C-88AE-B72FB3926F50.jpeg

Attachments

• EEEFA57A-8AC2-4B5E-90F7-51C68044614D.jpeg
    EEEFA57A-8AC2-4B5E-90F7-51C68044614D.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 52
Finished off decorating the kitchen/diner today. Painted the woodwork - skirting, architraves, windowsill and a shelf. Managed to get over the allotment today - weeded my onion bed, planted some more garlic, cut down my asparagus plants and mulched them with some well rotted horse manure. Ate the last apple off of my tree - the juiciest yet! Popped to Waitrose on my way home and picked up a takeaway Indian meal for tonight. Just gotta hang up the new blind, the patio door curtains and a few pictures up tomorrow. Thank fook! I lost all my decorating mojo quicker than usual this time - not even a third of the way in and I was working under duress for most of the time. Hate it. Absolutely hate it.

I thought I’d make myself a nice fresh crusty loaf for lunch today - I hadn’t baked a loaf for ages. Unfortunately my flour was absolutely riddled with :sick: weevils :sick:. Luckily my strong white and wholemeal flour along with my sachets of yeast are all kept in a large Tupperware container so the little buggers were contained. I’ve never seen weevils before - they are the size of an ants testicle and there were thousands of them all moving about like little space invaders. Yuk! It must have been ages since I last made a loaf because the yeast had a best before date of August so the yeast and the flours all went in the outside bin and the container was given a good hot wash. Where do they come from? Were the weevil eggs present in the flour when I bought it?

Sponsored Links
Just got in from a rather wet, windy and cold dog walk. We are both soaked through. Still, all decorating finished so heating on, dry off, a spot of brunch and see if there’s anything binge worthy on the firestick. I might get round to fitting the new lamp that arrived yesterday but I’ll probably get the chain length wrong so I might as well wait for the site foreperson to get home….

Trip to Sainsbury to take up the 25% off some already discounted wines, and 1litre of JD for £20 for one of my favoured clients

More of the 'fixing stuff'. My weather station, reports wirelessly to the indoor console/display, which then plugs via USB, into RPi to exchange data and provide 5v to power it, to avoid it using batteries. RPi then connects to LAN, so weather data can be viewed remotely/uploaded to weather sites - as it has reliably done for years. Console flattened it's internal batteries, so probably missing it's 5v USB supply, RPi had it's power LED lit, but it's weather website was inaccessible.

A number of unconnected items decided to give up the ghost together, so I only got around to the weather station properly this morning. I tested the console on a 5v USB supply - all working. Plugged that into the RPi on a spare USB wallwart, that worked, and so decided it must be the original USB psu which was faulty. Swapped it out, reinstalled and all now working at last.

I might get round to fitting the new lamp that arrived yesterday but I’ll probably get the chain length wrong so I might as well wait for the site foreperson to get home….
I was bored so I got on with fitting the new lamp. Bit sad to see the old lamp come down. We have a pair of them and we bought them in 1984 when we got our first house. Cost a small fortune back then - £250 each seems to ring a bell - gold plated Swarovski Crystal. I had to sit in the back of my van holding them while mrs Mottie drove us home - slowly! Our friends liked them so much they went out and bought a pair of them too and theirs are still going strong in their house in East Ham. We brought ours with us when we moved here in 1990 and they have been up ever since (had to take all of the chain off of it because the ceilings in this house are a lot lower than the Victorian one we moved out of).

Goodbye to this old friend (very dusty as I have been decorating and rubbing down)

E280F4B4-DD86-4966-BD20-978B956A9023.jpeg
And replaced it with this:

52EFF0A5-DED2-4E41-9780-0298DA7E636C.jpeg
I don’t particularly like it but Mrs Mottie says 38 years for one ceiling light is more than enough! Still got the other one in the lounge for the moment but I fear it’s days are numbered too.

The weather brightened up so I took my recently and freely acquired wheelbarrow over the allotment and while I was there, I fitted the old Roman blind from our recently decorated kitchen to my allotment shed. Very posh - I might have to see if I can fit the old chandelier in there too! ;)

5EA3E9A6-B313-45BF-A41D-07A9B46F3940.jpeg

I have mostly been looking for a thread that the left-wing extremists haven't banned me from.

I haven't got the eyesight or a steady enough hand for cutting in and all the cutting in tools I have ever tried have been a waste of time and money.

Masking tape must have got better since my last decorating sesh, because the old beige stuff wasn't infallible.

Sponsored Links
Back