What have you been doing today?

My brother's first house had numerous drain problems, all due to the 'tard woman next door.
Food waste, even to the carcass of the chicken they'd had for dinner, went down the bog.
More than once, my brother showed me the sprouts merrily bobbing away, when he lifted his manhole cover.
Her husband despaired at her antics, but he must have loved her to put up with her.

Sponsored Links
Today... hanging a new door and trying to explain to she wot scowls at me the new door is about 5mm less wide than the old door. From the top and bottom of the door, I removed up to 2mm down/up to the hinges to deal with the curve in the hinge side of the frame. I explained that the gap on the lock side of my frame is not my fault. I cannot, instantly, make the new door wide enough to plane it to match the curved frame.

I guess I am gonna have to use my bandsaw and epoxy resin some fillets to the lock plate side of the door. I know that I will then get grief when I have to sand through the factory finished spray primer on the Howdens door though...

Yesterday, my stepson came up for up for Christmas diner. I love him to bits. He turned up with a PC that needed fixing. Other than Xmas diner and 3 pints in the pub, I was sitting at the table fixing it from 10.30 until 16.30.

Could be worse though...

Looking forward to going back to work tomorrow. The customer hasn't seen me since I left early on the 24th. They will be happy to have me back after two days, and then after work, and I can pop in to my favourite pub after work, rather than the one closest to where I live.

£4.60 for a Kronenbourg in the Shanakee, Ealing (pubs in Eailng are generally more expensive as a function of location) Vs £5.20 for the same beer in my immediate local (in an area where properties cost far, far less).

We were supposed to have family over today but the blocked drain put paid to that. Mrs Mottie has got a cold that’s gone to her sinus's and our daughter has come down with covid so a triple whammy. Mrs Mottie has just gone to her mums house to meet up with our son, his wife and our grandson to exchange presents and is coming straight back. We may do a doorstep present exchange with our daughter on Wednesday if she's up to it. I’ve been left here on drain watch waiting for Thames Water to come back again to unblock the sewer. We've postponed our full Christmas get together for a couple of weeks - I still have a turkey crown in the freezer.

Last edited:
Been for a 10-mile walk (2hr 15m). First thing I've done in a month, what with lurgy, work, and it being too cold for me to contemplate outdoor swimming in.

Hoping the clouds don't thicken tonight, as the Moon is a thin crescent, so won't drown out M31 (Andromeda Spiral).
Never seen it with my own eyes before, but just checked on Stellarium app and it will be close to overhead at around 1830.

Might even break out the binos

Sponsored Links
And........ despite scanning the area for a while, I couldn't see anything that I'd recognise as anything other than a star.

Lots and lots of stars: obvious, but the longer you're out there, the better your eyes adapt, and the more you can discern, but nothing to resemble a disc.

Next gambit, get the telescope out of the box :LOL:
A lot of effort though ;)

Just curtain twitching. Well, watching the CCTV. The 'big boys' from Thames Water have pulled up in their big lorry, put the signs out and are on a fag break at the moment. Not actually done anything yet apart from take some photos of their truck. I went out to poke my nose in and they said they can’t do anything until a 'Major' turns up. I assume they mean the engineer/assessor or whatever they call them that is going to survey the damage and recommend either repair or replacement of the drain from our house to the manhole. I've looked it up now and apparently it’s a 'Pitch fibre' drain they used for cheapness when they built these houses in the sixties with a life span of 40 years, so now 20 years past their use-by date!

I assume they mean the engineer/assessor or whatever they call them that is going to survey the damage and recommend either repair or replacement of the drain from our house to the manhole.

Who pays in a situation like this?

Just found this. I had no idea the shared drains on my property would be the responsibility of Yorkshire Water. That's cool! Although the four houses on this development are all detached, we have the system shown here for terraced houses, and we are the second house in line.

1672139235901.png

Update: We’ll they surveyed it and have marked out the faults - the major blister is in my neighbours garden under his patio. They said they will put the job through and it should be done asap but with them, asap could be six months I suspect! I asked them if they cleaned it and they said it was clear. I said it wasn’t and asked them to lift the cover to check my waste flow. They asked me to chuck some milk down the toiled which I did and flushed it. Result - no flow! They then got the jetter in there and cleared it. Loads of crap came out. Tried again with milk and all ok - for now! "If it happens again before the repair, just give us a call and we'll be straight out" they said. Yeah, like in 24 hours if I’m lucky! I’m going to check it on a daily basis and get them out if I see no flow. Just got to make a pest of myself to get things done. Squeaky wheel gets the oil and all that.

Right, off out to get some milk - I’m almost out of it now.

£4.60 for a Kronenbourg in the Shanakee, Ealing (pubs in Eailng are generally more expensive as a function of location) Vs £5.20 for the same beer in my immediate local (in an area where properties cost far, far less).

Not too badly priced for London. Have heard of £8 pints there. Luckily one of my locals does nicely kept ales (St Austell Tribute, Timothy Taylor Landlord, Butcombe, Door Bar) for £2.89 pint all day on Mon and Thurs. £4.20ish seems the normal average in Bristol for ale, though a friend was shocked to pay £6 for a pint somewhere more central.

Sponsored Links
Back