What have you been doing today?

I'm wondering the same!

BTW, I cook the crackling separately and reunite it with its flesh before serving.

Sponsored Links
Cooked a Sunday lunch with Mrs S for us, No.2 son and her folks and her Mum's sister.
Large chicken, roasties, stuffing, Yorkshires, 3 veg, cauliflower cheese, bread sauce, gravy.

Mrs S thinks Yorkshire is cheating with chicken, but I don't think so.

I also did an apple crumble and custard with cream.
Such a simple pud to make but it tends to go down well.

Sponsored Links
She thinks Yorkshire only goes with beef.

To be fair, as a kid, that's how it was for me. You didn't get Yorkshire pud with any other roast meal.

At school in Yorkshire, you were sent to the nurse to have your mouth washed out with carbolic soap if you even suggested anything other than Yorkies with a beef dinner or, at a push, Yorkies with jam.

I also did an apple crumble and custard with cream.
Such a simple pud to make but it tends to go down well.
Did you mix anything into the crumble?
Cloves in the apples, surely.
I like to cut the apples chunky-style...:mrgreen:

Did you mix anything into the crumble?
Cloves in the apples, surely.
I like to cut the apples chunky-style...:mrgreen:
I did them chunky. I'm not that keen on cinnamon and Mrs S doesn't like clove

I did them chunky. I'm not that keen on cinnamon and Mrs S doesn't like clove
Other spices are available. ;)
Be creative.
Sometimes i like to sprinkle crushed almonds in the crumble for a bit of crunch. Maybe a sultana or two if i'm feeling fruity.:giggle:

Good point.

Sultanas are good as are almonds and on the odd occasion I have been known to put desecrated coconut into the topping too.

To be fair, as a kid, that's how it was for me. You didn't get Yorkshire pud with any other roast meal.

Yorkies, always served as a first course, with lots of gravy - idea was you wouldn't then need so much of the main course, after stuffing yourself with the Yorkies.

Yorkies, always served as a first course, with lots of gravy - idea was you wouldn't then need so much of the main course, after stuffing yourself with the Yorkies.
Back in the day, my grandparents would serve them as a dessert, too: golden brown with a puddle of raspberry vinegar and a sprinkling of sugar. Tasty? Oh yeah, ded tasty.

Sponsored Links
Back