What have you been doing today?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Stairs are a bit on the steep side though - almost a spiral staircase!
Nearly came a cropper at around 4.00 this morning taking the dog out to do her business. She can go up them but way too steep to go down on her own so I have to carry her down backwards. It’s like going down the stairs on an old Routemaster. The door to them is less than 2ft wide!

9AF98D12-7875-4039-AC85-8878C4E56AC5.jpeg

I made a mistake coming away this weekend - I’m missing the last shoot of the season. Last night at dusk I heard them flying up to roost in the trees next to where we are staying and earlier this morning I heard some pheasants calling and I saw a couple of cock birds walking in the fields behind the cottage. Just now, Mrs Mottie said "Oh look, they’re having a shoot”. Looked out and there were the beaters and brown working cockers flushing the woods behind our garden. If if have known, I’d have asked for me and Suze to join in for half a day.

7EF94E9C-921C-41C1-AE3E-A9FD5A335D46.jpeg

D3EA4B3B-7D37-4C5C-A13C-64A939EDD185.jpeg

Last edited:
We went to see The Whale last night.
It was the first showing of it. As usual, the first showing is in the original version. VOSE = Version Original Subtitulos Español. It was 4.95€ entry and almost a full house.
Before it started, two men came onto the stage and gave a short talk about it.
When it finished they did the same accompanied be a lady. They discussed the film and invited comments from the audience who had stayed behind.
After 10 minutes we sneaked out.
It was a good film which I would recommend any cinema goer to see.
I had to cover the QR code because as soon as the camera saw it, it wanted to take me to a website.
20230128_112457.jpg

Just been outside looking at the stars and already seen a couple of satellites going over. It’s so dark here with no background light.

Not sure if you visited when you were there, but most stars I ever saw were in Kruger Park, SA. Many miles from civilisation, you realised how many stars are up there. Used to sit there for ages staring at the night sky as never seen anything like it before. Thunder and lightning way off in distance was spectacular.

So is the plastering by the looks of it.
Brickwork isn’t too clever either but the original part of the cottage is two hundred years old. At the top of the stairs there is a glass window on an inside wall showing the original lathe and plaster wall. It used to be a cottage tied to the Bloomfield Hall estate. It’s been extended three times and the original cottage must have been tiny - literally a one up, one down cottage with a headroom of about 6’6”!

00F562AF-108F-479F-A0F2-4EEC7CC45EE3.jpeg
13B180E3-0A95-4BD1-81FB-CE164079D080.jpeg

Went to a place called Aldeburgh today. A nice walk along the beach and we had fish 'n' chips for lunch. Went next door to a pub beer garden to eat them after buying a couple of drinks. The dog was interested in my pint of Adnams and popped up to have a look at it.

CC563954-DF8A-45A7-80E6-10810963C0D9.jpeg

Mrs Mottie said to watch out in case the dog knocks it over, I said don’t be silly and then the dog nudged it with her nose and knocked it over! I shouted and she quickly ducked back under the table but the beer soaked through the slats and gave her a beer shower. Serves her right!

We went back to the cottage and as dusk was approaching I decided to take her out for a walk in the fields and woods behind us to see if we could see any pheasants going up to roost. Didn’t see any but saw a couple of hares and an owl. The owl flew towards is and went right over me and its wings didn’t even make a sound! I also saw some kind of sniper seat/platform set up. I don’t know what for - deer/badgers/foxes?

E8A2E705-67B7-4BDD-8877-D4496939702D.jpeg

Anyway, while I was taking a photo of that, my dog disappeared! I saw a pheasant fly off and assumed she had flushed it. I couldn’t find her. I called and blew the whistle but no sign. I went back to the cottage to see if she'd made her way back but all that did was panicked Mrs Mottie when I said she was lost. By now it was getting darker. I grabbed a torch and went back into the woods blowing the whistle all the time. I’ve never known her not to come back on the whistle. I went into the fields and into the cover crop and then I spotted her over the other side of the field. I blew up and she stopped and looked at me. It wasn't until I spread my arms that she recognised me and came running back. (We do that with the dogs when they are at distance as it teaches them recall - works great in the deaf dogs we've had over the years). She had certainly given herself a fright as she was panting and trying to climb up me. I can only assume her hearing is going - she will be 11 years old this year. In all she was missing for about 20 minutes but it felt like hours and I was beginning to feel sick. We're practically in the middle of nowhere here and it would have soon been pitch dark. She was covered in thistle and when we got home she was panting and gnawing at her feet. I think she chased a bird into some bracken and possibly got stuck. I had to dash out to the nearest village with a Co-op and get some bicarbonate of soda to soak her feet. She's stopped panting and calmed down now and is curled up near to the log burner. I’ve just got out of the doghouse with Mrs Mottie myself! :rolleyes:

All's well that ends well!

45064ADC-E89A-44C1-99BF-E16701B85A46.jpeg

Last edited:
Went to a place called Aldeburgh today. A nice walk along the beach and we had fish 'n' chips for lunch. Went next door to a pub beer garden to eat them after buying a couple of drinks. The dog was interested in my pint of Adnams and popped up to have a look at it.

View attachment 294056

Mrs Mottie said to watch out in case the dog knocks it over, I said don’t be silly and then the dog nudged it with her nose and knocked it over! I shouted and she quickly ducked back under the table but the beer soaked through the slats and gave her a beer shower. Serves her right!

We went back to the cottage and as dusk was approaching I decided to take her out for a walk in the fields and woods behind us to see if we could see any pheasants going up to roost. Didn’t see any but saw a couple of hares and an owl. The owl flew towards is and went right over me and its wings didn’t even make a sound! I also saw some kind of sniper seat/platform set up. I don’t know what for - deer/badgers/foxes?

View attachment 294057

Anyway, while I was taking a photo of that, my dog disappeared! I saw a pheasant fly off and assumed she had flushed it. I couldn’t find her. I called and blew the whistle but no sign. I went back to the cottage to see if she'd made her way back but all that did was panicked Mrs Mottie when I said she was lost. By now it was getting darker. I grabbed a torch and went back into the woods blowing the whistle all the time. I’ve never known her not to come back on the whistle. I went into the fields and into the cover crop and then I spotted her over the other side of the field. I blew up and she stopped and looked at me. It wasn't until I spread my arms that she recognised me and came running back. (We do that with the dogs when they are at distance as it teaches them recall - works great in the deaf dogs we've had over the years). She had certainly given herself a fright as she was panting and trying to climb up me. I can only assume her hearing is going - she will be 11 years old this year. In all she was missing for about 20 minutes but it felt like hours and I was beginning to feel sick. We're practically in the middle of nowhere here and it would have soon been pitch dark. She was covered in thistle and when we got home she was panting and gnawing at her feet. I think she chased a bird into some bracken and possibly got stuck. I had to dash out to the nearest village with a Co-op and get some bicarbonate of soda to soak her feet. She's stopped panting and calmed down now and is curled up near to the log burner. I’ve just got out of the doghouse with Mrs Mottie myself! :rolleyes:

All's well that ends well!

View attachment 294058

God bless little Susie. FFS Steve, when she eventually passes, keep it to yourself, I'm not sure I could handle it.

Sponsored Links
Back