What have you been doing today?

You must live in a mansion! Are your water rates based on your council tax? Ours were. We used to pay £64 a month. We went on a meter last year and it dropped to £29 a month.
I got the 2nd and 3rd numbers the wrong way round: we pay £101.64 monthly.

We are not on a meter because there is 4 or 5 of us here, 2 or 3 are young lads. Each person takes at least one shower a day. Then the washing machine.... Then there's the dishwasher which can be on 3 times a day.

We had a test meter for a short time and it showed we'd be better off paying the fixed rate!

Looking forward to only be responsible for ourselves, not three permanently ravenous, shower loving, clothes washing locusts!

Love 'em really!

Edit: Mottie, our Council Tax is Band E, currently £2618.48 pa. I notice your Council Tax for the same band is lower!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Edit: Mottie, our Council Tax is Band E, currently £2618.48 pa. I notice your Council Tax for the same band is lower!
That’s the first I’ve heard of where banding is cheaper than ours. We’re E and pay something like £2,400 a year. Probably why our council tax based water bill was high.

Sorry to hear that news Conny. Keeping my fingers crossed for your treatment to be successful.

As for work, as long as the doctors sign you off as unfit to work then as a minimum you should get statutory sick pay for up to 28 weeks although I hope your employer will honour whatever their normal sick pay policy is for you. You should not hand in your notice, and they are not allowed to sack you for being ill.

That’s the first I’ve heard of where banding is cheaper than ours. We’re E and pay something like £2,400 a year.
Your council tax is £2408.96 for Band E, ours is £2618.48 also for Band E.
I'm surprised to see that some London boroughs have cheaper council tax than some Greater Manchester boroughs.
But Westminster is a joke!

I wonder why Westminster is so cheap?
Hmmmm......

Sponsored Links
Kidney check up today. Not good news. My eGFR rate has dropped from 63 last month to 49 this month. That puts me in Grade 3a CKD.
Outcome is, I have to have 2 infusions of chemotherapy starting within 2 weeks.

Not sure what the relationship is between CKD and chemo, but is a rapid fall in eGFR, though some way to go to match my eGFR of 17 which is now stabilised.

Best of luck with that.. The experts know what they are doing.

My autoimmune is the basic cause of my problems Harry. It seems I had some sort of infection about 20 years ago and my immune system forgot to switch off. The result was, my body started attacking itself, specifically my kidneys for some unknown reason. I wasn't even aware I had picked up a bug. Never had any ill feelings or time off work with anything other than physical injuries so didn't know what was going on. Eventually diagnosed with 'a kidney problem' but it was much later when they discovered the actual extent. Was on various tablets, diueretics, steroids (massive doses), statins, blood pressure and eventually immunosuppressants for a number of years. I eventually went in to remission and everything stabilised for about 5+ years. Then came Covid and I was advised to get vaccinated. After chatting with the consultant yesterday I raised the possibility of the vaccines/booster being responsible. She seems a bit sceptical but suggested I look back through my readings and see if the change ties up with the dates of the vaccine so working on that at the moment. I doubt I'll find conclusive proof but it may raise a few questions/eyebrows.
The chemo is not the cancer standard. There are a number of different types for different conditions. Basically it's a way of suppressing my immune system right down as low as possible and then when my system starts to re-boot up it will attack the protein called CD20, which attach and attack my white blood cells. Hopefully that will stop it in it's tracks but I may need yearly infusions if it begins again.

The chemo is not the cancer standard. There are a number of different types for different conditions. Basically it's a way of suppressing my immune system right down as low as possible and then when my system starts to re-boot up it will attack the protein called CD20, which attach and attack my white blood cells. Hopefully that will stop it in it's tracks but I may need yearly infusions if it begins again.

It all sounds very complex indeed, by comparison my issues were simple cause and effect - undiagnosed high BP, causing the original kidney damage.

The damage means I quickly 'run out of steam', when I make an effort. I was on regular Aranesp injections, but now they have said I don't need them, due to my kidney function being stable.

A bit of butchery on a couple of pheasants that were shot and hung last Saturday. I used my Black & Decker slaughtermate 400 to do it on. The carcasses went over my back fence into the alley for the foxes to eat later tonight.
70B4DA2C-A472-4605-8873-37242B24CC28.jpeg

Gave the A3 a good clean. Wet down, snow foam, jet wash, wash, leather off, wax, alloy wheel cleaner to get the wheels up nice. Came up lovely but it hasn’t been washed for at least a couple of months.

B9BB4343-DC76-4C6E-8525-4FECEDC5F9BF.jpeg

While I was in the zone, I did the Golf straight after. That was really rotten as it’s the dog carrier and goes through some very muddy car parks. Also not been washed for a good three months. Just a snow foam and jet wash. No wash and wax, no leather down, just jet washed the alloys and drove it round the block to dry off. Came up almost as good as the A3!

Out later for an Indian meal with mrs Mottie.

I wonder why Westminster is so cheap?
Hmmmm......

Always has been, also always been hailed as one of the most efficient councils in the country and held up as model for other councils.
That may change since it's fallen under Labour control.

Their revenue from parking penalties has got to be the highest in the country, that must help.

Picked this up, without making sure the lid was clipped shut....

Screenshot_20230121-200239.png

.... and spent the next twenty minutes picking the bazzas out of the gravel, dirt, and gaps in the paving....

I took Mrs Mottie up the passage tonight.

The Passage to India, our local Indian restaurant!

Sponsored Links
Back