What have you been doing today?

Sponsored Links
Put up a curtain rail onto a dreaded concrete lintel, always had trouble in the past with my normal hammer drill doing this with holes wandering and blunted bits so decided to finally invest in an SDS drill. OMG went in as if the lintel was butter and almost no wander! Also chipped off the concrete post hole filler from several concrete gate posts that I was considering hiring a breaker for so it's paid for itself already. All the pro's will be upset when I say I bought it from Argos but then it won't be used every day, probably not even once a week.......

Put up a curtain rail onto a dreaded concrete lintel, always had trouble in the past with my normal hammer drill doing this with holes wandering and blunted bits so decided to finally invest in an SDS drill. OMG went in as if the lintel was butter and almost no wander! Also chipped off the concrete post hole filler from several concrete gate posts that I was considering hiring a breaker for so it's paid for itself already. All the pro's will be upset when I say I bought it from Argos but then it won't be used every day, probably not even once a week.......
It’s the same with car tools - if it’s only occasional use and not all day, every day, you don’t need a set of Snap-On tools.

Waiting for British Gas to fit a new meter to the workshop. I’m fuming. They’ve been pestering me to have a new meter fitted, yesterday they made an appointment with me for it to be fitted between 10.00 and 2.00 today. Had an email, a text message and a message in my BG app confirming the booking. At 1.59 they sent me this:

IMG_1446.jpeg

I phoned up and did my nut. They said they'd move me up as a priority and can get someone round in the next three hours! I told them no, I’m not waiting another 3 hours to be fùcked about again. I told them I wanted a 2 hour time slot next week and I want compensation for my wasted time. They offered me £30 credit on the new meter. I told them to poke it and I’m taking it further. I might even change suppliers. Fùck 'em!

Sponsored Links
Just nipped over the allotment to check on things and while I was there, I saw Mr Fox again. As I was leaving I saw something I’ve never seen over there before. A rabbit! That’s one thing you don’t want on an allotment so hopefully Mr Fox will take care of it before it starts breeding like…rabbits. Fingers crossed.

IMG_1457.jpeg

Worked half day today. Got my hair cut (£14.50 - they've raised their prices), and later jet washed the back patio. Very satisfying job seeing the dirt blasted away and revealing the Indian stone in all its glory. Also used my massage roller on my leg muscles, which wad pretty unpleasant, but I believe it is worth doing.

That's alright... what do you ask for?

I get a 3 short back and sides and then have an inch or so on the top, slightly longer at the front. Pretty standard fare. I've always gone to cheapo places but seems very rare to find a place charging under a tenner now, and their competence might be questionable if they're too cheap. This place I go to was charging 12.50 earlier in the year. What I will say though is that this guy who has started working there is absolutely superb and really knows what he's doing - much better than the others who are all women.

I did a 14km run this morning. First proper run I've done outside for a long while and longer than I've run for a few years. Hoping to get trained up for the half marathon which is in a few weeks' time and this morning has confirmed I should be up to it. Whether I get a decent time is more in doubt. I followed up with a session on the massage roller, which is a workout in its own right and very unpleasant - hopefully will pay off though over the coming weeks. A tin of sardines, some fruit and water... and then some bacon sarnies prepared by my fair lady. Otherwise, I'm having the day off, apart from needing to go and buy some things for the garden. I will be drinking beer today that's for sure.

Avril, just gives my hair the once over, with an electric trimmer, fitted with a guide - good enough for me!

Today, we took a ride to buy a wine kit from The Range. I'd never heard of The Range before. I used to buy the kits from Wilko, until they went bust. Lots of enquiries later, I found out who supplied the kits to Wilko, to see if I could buy them direct. After finding the supplier, they suggested they now supply to The Range. So the next trick, was track down a Range, that had stock. Found one 10 miles away, and yes they had. I notice they also stock lots of items marked up as Wilko on their shelves. It'll be a while before I get around to making it, I have even begun to drink my last batch of wine, but I like to always have continuity of stock.

Next, on the way home, a wonder round a garden centre.

Track day at the old Aintree GP circuit with the Liverpool Motor Club.

I took the Grantura now it is running to give it a drive out, as it's not road legal, so I'd not been able to test drive it properly. I thought I would probably breakdown during the day (as car has been pretty much untouched for 12 years before my ownership). I managed 2 laps before there was an almighty crunch from the back of the car as I was going down the straight... made it to the pit lane where it fully broke. Think it might be the diff.

Oh well, I wish I'd had more driving time, but it was fun while it lasted.

IMG_2176.JPG

Avril, just gives my hair the once over, with an electric trimmer, fitted with a guide - good enough for me!

Today, we took a ride to buy a wine kit from The Range. I'd never heard of The Range before. I used to buy the kits from Wilko, until they went bust. Lots of enquiries later, I found out who supplied the kits to Wilko, to see if I could buy them direct. After finding the supplier, they suggested they now supply to The Range. So the next trick, was track down a Range, that had stock. Found one 10 miles away, and yes they had. I notice they also stock lots of items marked up as Wilko on their shelves. It'll be a while before I get around to making it, I have even begun to drink my last batch of wine, but I like to always have continuity of stock.

Next, on the way home, a wonder round a garden centre.

I've noticed the same with the sale of "Wilko" branded garden seeds and some other items in the Range and Home Bargains as well. I went to both stores earlier to get a load of garden type products. I used to make my own beer. Started off with some kits from Wilkos, which amazingly sold everything that was needed, and later bought grains and hops to do more of the process myself. Again, wilko never let me down - selling glass demijohns, bottles and all sorts (I was going through a phase of not wanting to use plastic in the process). I've never tried home made wine, is it any good?

Rebalancing the portfolio. That's something I'd never have thought I'd be saying before a year or so ago.
I came out of tech when the sector went flat a month or whatever ago, and into Money Market at 5%.
Tech has dropped some, since.
Results from Google, microsoft, reaction at Amazon and a couple of others has boosted the feeling so I'm easing back in.
Tech, China, India (a bit of a star, India), & Financials for now.
Mostly it's a pastime. No kids, can't get out of the house much.
I could sell stuff from former pastimes on ebay but I CBA.

Again, wilko never let me down - selling glass demijohns, bottles and all sorts (I was going through a phase of not wanting to use plastic in the process). I've never tried home made wine, is it any good?

Given a choice of my homemade from a kit, and a bought bottle, my choice would be my own homemade from a kit, white wine. Having said that, I also tried Wilko red 30 bottle kits, and was not impressed. The OEM of the Wilko 30 bottle white, and the The Range version of the kit, assured me they are quite similar, though not identical.

I never tried the smaller, more expensive Wilko kits, because I found the white so good. Normally given a choice of a full-bodied red, and a white, I would choose the red.

Sponsored Links
Back