What have you been doing today?

Anyway, while I was taking a photo of that, my dog disappeared! I saw a pheasant fly off and assumed she had flushed it. I couldn’t find her. I called and blew the whistle but no sign. I went back to the cottage to see if she'd made her way back but all that did was panicked Mrs Mottie when I said she was lost. By now it was getting darker.

Our male border collie, was forever escaping the garden and taking himself off exploring the village. My best attempts to prevent his escapades failed, but he would always find his way home. One night, out searching for him, I spotted him coming towards me, on a narrow footbridge, with a very determined look in his eye. I called him, he ignored me, and just marched at speed straight past me.

One night, alone in the house - her ladyship had taken herself away on a Calais shopper trip, he escaped at midnight. I had no choice, but to wait up all night to let him back in - waiting for his tap at the back door. The tap didn't come until 6am. I never did find out where he went, but he always knew his way round the village better than me.

Sponsored Links
Went to Southwold today. I always find seaside towns with a pier pretty grim in January. Still, the dog had a paddle in the sea and we had lunch out. Was due to eat out tonight but couldn’t find any pub restaurants either open past 4.00 that weren’t fully booked. Oh well, Mrs Mottie brought a frozen lasagne with her as a standby in case we couldn’t find anywhere that allows dogs in as we wouldn’t go out and leave her in a strange cottage. Home tomorrow and apart from losing the dog briefly yesterday, she's had a pretty relaxing and stress free time away from work and looking after her mother. Happy wife, happy life and all that.

Yesterday, I had a St. Peter's Without at my Ma's. A lovely dark, malty AF beer.
Very nice if you like malty beers.

Today, we were driving Rugby miles again for our youngest, this time to Kendal RUFC.

Stopped at The County at Carnforth as Mrs Secure fancied a Carvery.

I phoned to book and asked if they had a veggie option. Was told there was a mushroom Wellington. When we got there, the waitress said she had made a mistake and it wasn't available.

I was told I could have cheese and onion pie and chips instead.
There was obviously a big misunderstanding.... I wanted a veggie carvery meal. Anyway, it was all sorted out. I had the pie then chose from the carvery sides: Yorkshire puds, stuffing, roasties, mash, mashed swede, cauliflower cheese, leeks in cheese sauce, broccoli and green beans.

IMG_20230129_125009_HDR.jpg

Then we decided to share an apple crumble. Good job, as it was massive!

IMG_20230129_133317_HDR.jpg

The meal was lovely, but the veggies were all very well cooked. It's always tricky when cooking vast quantities of veg that are then sitting on hotplates or under heat lamps for a while. But apart from that, it was very tasty, especially the home made pie and the crumble. Had a Heineken 0% with the food and that was drinkable.

Bonus: when we got back, my order of Doombar 0% had arrived. Have not yet tried it, but will let you know.

Did a bit of damage in the holiday rental cottage tonight. Jumped in the shower and it has an overhead rain type shower as well as one on an adjustable rail. I noticed that a few of the jets on the rain shower were squirting off at odd angles so, just like the showerhead at home, I gave the little rubber jets a wipe with my hand to clean them out……and snapped about a dozen of them off! They were rock hard and had no flexibility at all. I texted the owner and told her what had happened and she thanked me for letting her know. She says they have very hard water up here and that would be the cause of it. She will get it replaced before the next renter comes in. Phew!

Sponsored Links
Did 188 miles today. Oil light still coming on and going off randomly.

Level still OK.

It's going in to have the sensor swapped out on Wednesday, so hopefully that will sort it.

Edited due to OCD.... ;)

Last edited:
Did 188 miles today. Oil light still coming on and going off randomly.

Level still OK.

It's going in to have the sensor swapped out on Wednesday, so hopefully that will sort it.
I think if you had real oil pressure problems, you wouldn’t have done 188 miles without something making a bit of a noise!

The meal was lovely, but the veggies were all very well cooked. It's always tricky when cooking vast quantities of veg that are then sitting on hotplates or under heat lamps for a while.

That is always tricky at a carvery. I try to find out what time the open the carvery/ what time they put it all out, and aim to be there then. Nothing worse than veg which has sat waiting for too long.

On the way home from our break in Sussex and less than 10 minutes from home, we get a call from the cottage owner - I've left my house keys in one of the drawers. :evil: :mad:

Luckily Mrs Mottie had taken her keys with her so no problem getting in but I’ve got to wait for my keys to be posted back to me. Grrr.

Having to get them posted to my sisters house as it had our house and my mums house keys on the ring.

On the way home from our break in Sussex and less than 10 minutes from home, we get a call from the cottage owner - I've left my house keys in one of the drawers

It's nice of them to post them back. It's a bit of a hike from Sussex Suffolk.

Been there done that. I don't think we've ever had a cottage holiday where I haven't left something behind, or even taken something away with us.

Started 'experimenting' with food in the multi-cooker & airfried some chicken thighs that had been marinating in Levi Roots 'Reggae Reggae' sauce for 24hrs.

Is that it? Looked great but tasted bland. I know people who would kill for good jerk chicken but I doubt this is even close.

Sponsored Links
Back