What have you been doing today?

MXS 5.0

Thankfully, the FR-V does not have stop/ start, but the car spends lengthy periods stationary but occupied, with drains on the battery, so I (rightly or wrongly) thought AGM would be better.

It has performed well until now. We once left the headlights on for 2 hours and it started no problem!

Regarding brands, I have always regarded Bosch/ Varta as the gold standard.

But are there any brands that are as good?

Are there any with warranties of more than 5 years?
You'd probably be better fitting it with a higher capacity standard battery if you have to replace it.

Sponsored Links
Tanya, in Wales - best price, and they will still be there to honour the guarantee, should you need it.

Many cars these days have built in dash diagnostics, which allow you to see the battery voltage.
Well tried them. They wanted to know the physical size of the battery rather than the car and capacity. They gave a me a quote which once the shipping was added was similar to the local motor factors. Went to them and after a long discussion including removing the original battery came away with one that is slightly larger capacity and higher discharge rate for a £5 more than Tanya. I don't doubt Tanya's prices and service but couldn't fault the local shop either.
Thanks for the advice.

Sponsored Links
You'd probably be better fitting it with a higher capacity standard battery if you have to replace it.
Thanks. If the reconditioning cycle on the charger doesn't sort it, I'll probably get a Bosch S5 wet.

Do you rate any other brands?

Unboxing second-born's tv

Unless mine was a dud, didn't come with power cord.

Would have caused a bit of a kerfuffle, if he was 8, that way inclined, and it was Christmas day.
Thankfully, none of the above applied, and I had just the thing in a box of bits in the garage (y)

Feeling all chavtastic now (y)

Bosch if you want to impress the next buyer!
Hadn't had a car of an age to need a new battery, then the old Honda's went.
I saw a rash of bad reviews for Bosch and went back to what everyone used to rate highly for bikes - Yuasa. Then I saw a rash of bad reviews for those!

I’m up at 3.00 in the morning - can't sleep. Note to self: Don't gorge on cheese and crackers just before you go to bed!

Bosch if you want to impress the next buyer!
Hadn't had a car of an age to need a new battery, then the old Honda's went.
I saw a rash of bad reviews for Bosch and went back to what everyone used to rate highly for bikes - Yuasa. Then I saw a rash of bad reviews for those!

You have to be careful where you buy them from - there are plenty of counterfeit batteries out there. Years ago when I used to buy my parts from a local small motor factors, I knew them quite well and when I bought a battery, they would ask me what sticker I wanted on it! They would buy unbranded and unlabelled batteries in and literally put an Exide sticker on it or any other battery manufacturers sticker of choice.

Last edited:
OOI, why are places that sell car parts called "factors", rather than "shops"?

I don't easily recall any other type of retailer using the term "factor".
Electrical wholesalers are sometimes called factors, not so much these days though

Sponsored Links
Back