What have you been doing today?

Sure, so do I. But these had more than 3mm.

Anyway, we did a few thousand more miles and swapped them out at 3 mill.

Sponsored Links
Got a call from middle boy. Just recently started driving to and from work after passing his test.
He couldn't get the car started.

Went out to him and the battery was flat as a pancake
Connected up my jump leads and it started just fine.
He checked the position of the light switch and the lights were off, so it wasn't that.

The courtesy light was turned off too. Not sure what it was. Had a new battery last year. Just going to have to play it by ear.

Got a call from middle boy. Just recently started driving to and from work after passing his test.
He couldn't get the car started.

Went out to him and the battery was flat as a pancake
Connected up my jump leads and it started just fine.
He checked the position of the light switch and the lights were off, so it wasn't that.

The courtesy light was turned off too. Not sure what it was. Had a new battery last year. Just going to have to play it by ear.

First-born's first car was getting more difficult to start, eventually requiring a shove and bump.

He passed his test, insured it as a "driver", then went out in it.
Flat as a pancake too, and blocked the main road on which we lived.

I replaced the battery on the roadside, but not before cutting the cable to the bloody subwoofer he'd had fitted (y)

Worked fine for two years thereafter :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Blimey, people knock the post office but my keys were posted last night and my sister has just phoned me to tell me they have arrived!
…but on the other hand, I had a lady who lives at the same number house in the next street knock at my door this morning and gave me four letters addressed to us that some lazy/illiterate postman had put through her door yesterday. One was a NHS pension information letter for Mrs Mottie, one was a business bank statement and one was a cheque for £220 from Thames Water. Definitely not our usual postie as we’ve had him for years and he's as good as gold - he's even turned back before now with a parcel when he's seen us driving home to save us going up to the sorting office to collect it.

Regarding the pension letter, Mrs Mottie can’t make head or tail of it so will see what others are doing but basically it is allowing employees to take early retirement and up to 100% of their pension and then rejoin 24 hours later. I can’t make head or tail of it either. Something to do with a McCloud remedy? Confusing.

Last edited:
That is what an 'advisory' is supposed to be - advice that something is nearing the limit for a pass, giving you the opportunity to replace/renew before the next one.
I got an advisory for the same brake pipes three years on the trot from the same guy.

I got an advisory on notchy steering head bearings on my bike. Next year, same tester, same bike, more mileage, no advisory.

Something to do with a McCloud remedy?

I’d never heard of the McCloud remedy so have just been Googling. It looks like in 2015, younger members of many public sector pension schemes, including the NHS pension scheme, were moved to a less favourable new pension system. Whereas those closer to retirement would remain in the existing, more generous scheme. In 2018 there was a court case called McCloud v Ministry of Justice which the government lost. This case found that these new rules discriminated against younger workers, on the grounds of age.

The government had to come up with a remedy for this discrimination. The remedy has two parts.

The first part is to treat all employees the same going forward, by moving everyone into the new scheme from 1 April 2022.

The second part is to make redress for any discrimination between 2015 and 2022. The way the government have decided to give redress, is by letting all pension scheme members choose whether they want to be part of the old scheme, or the new scheme, for the period 2015 to 2022. If the letter is about the McCloud remedy, then it could be that Mrs Mottie is being asked about which scheme she wants to be part of, for 2015 to 2022. Some people will be better off in the old scheme and others in the new scheme.

Here are two links to NHS information about the McCloud remedy.

https://www.nhsemployers.org/articles/mccloud-remedy#:~:text=The McCloud remedy removes the,Scheme when it was introduced.

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/changes-p...nsion-affected-changes-public-sector-pensions

Last edited:
Boot light staying on?

Andy
When I got home, I checked all the doors. Lad said that he had previously turned off the courtesy light (he had) so I opened each of the doors and tailgate in turn. The "Door Open" light on the dash came on and went off when each door was closed.
Then I went round again pushing and pulling each closed door repeatedly to see if there was a dodgy door switch: no "Door Open" light.

Will find out in a few hours whether it starts after standing overnight....

When I got home, I checked all the doors. Lad said that he had previously turned off the courtesy light (he had) so I opened each of the doors and tailgate in turn. The "Door Open" light on the dash came on and went off when each door was closed.
Then I went round again pushing and pulling each closed door repeatedly to see if there was a dodgy door switch: no "Door Open" light.

Glove box light?

I’d never heard of the McCloud remedy so have just been Googling. It looks like in 2015, younger members of many public sector pension schemes, including the NHS pension scheme, were moved to a less favourable new pension system. Whereas those closer to retirement would remain in the existing, more generous scheme. In 2018 there was a court case called McCloud v Ministry of Justice which the government lost. This case found that these new rules discriminated against younger workers, on the grounds of age.

The government had to come up with a remedy for this discrimination. The remedy has two parts.

The first part is to treat all employees the same going forward, by moving everyone into the new scheme from 1 April 2022.

The second part is to make redress for any discrimination between 2015 and 2022. The way the government have decided to give redress, is by letting all pension scheme members choose whether they want to be part of the old scheme, or the new scheme, for the period 2015 to 2022. If the letter is about the McCloud remedy, then it could be that Mrs Mottie is being asked about which scheme she wants to be part of, for 2015 to 2022. Some people will be better off in the old scheme and others in the new scheme.

Here are two links to NHS information about the McCloud remedy.

https://www.nhsemployers.org/articles/mccloud-remedy#:~:text=The McCloud remedy removes the,Scheme when it was introduced.

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/changes-p...nsion-affected-changes-public-sector-pensions
Thanks. Yes she has said she is in two schemes - a 2008 scheme and a 2015 scheme. She has said that the 2008 scheme was better. Thanks for the links, I’ll look into it.

This morning: Baking bread...

IMGP5485.JPG

...this afternoon, inspired by 'The Magical World of Moss' on BBC4 last night, i'm off hunting for rocks while Herself bubbles up a pot of Chicken barley Broth to dunk a crusty chunk for munching. :D Roll on Teatime!

Unlikely to be a problem on a reasonably modern car, modern ones shut the entire circuit down after 20-30 minutes, if left undisturbed. Leave a door open on mine, light will be on, but turns off after 20 minutes. Once it has forced the light off, door has to be closed, then reopened twice, quickly to restore normal operation.

Sponsored Links
Back