What have you been doing today?

Sponsored Links
Went and checked on todays progress today and the drains are at last all finally connected up and in full working order so no more shît creek between the new and the old pipes. They're also fitting a manhole/inspection chamber in the road too.

IMG_0986.jpeg

The finished article - I just had to have a peek down the new 'ole in the road. They had to cut into the existing sewer to Tee into it. All done while píss and shít must have been flowing - I take my hat off to them. Green is the new 6” flow from the manhole in the neighbours drive which my 4” waste flows into, red is the existing 9” main sewer in the street. I just missed taking a picture of a turd and some paper on its way to the treatment works when I lifted the covering board. I suppose it could be like that old game at the fairground where they drop a dummy down a tube with a cutout in it and you have to whack it with a stick as it goes past the cutout - splat a rat it was called - but instead of splatting a rat…….. :eek: :ROFLMAO:

IMG_0987.jpeg

I put in a fair session over the allotment today - filled chuggaboom with chippings at one end of the site and drove it up to my plot. Saved a lot of to-ing and fro-ing with the wheelbarrow.

IMG_0984.jpeg

Noticed that the artichoke has got its first globes coming through.

IMG_0985.jpeg

It's all starting to happen over the allotment now.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Drain check. All concreted now to a depth of about 4” from road level. Tarmac to be done tomorrow. As an experiment, I flushed a load of tissue down our upstairs toilet and it took 55 seconds to get to the main sewer in the street. That’ll do for me. (y)

They've damaged the power cable to the garage of my next door neighbour but one and knocked her wall down. That's in addition to cutting a channel down her drive. She's not happy and is going to take it up with them. The damaged cable was done when she was on holiday and all her electrics were off when she came back. I did remark to Mrs Mottie that her fridge didn’t seem that cold when I took her milk from her step inside on the day of her return. It has been regularly tripping since then and an electrician found it today. She says Thames Water will only repair it but the electrician said it needs replacing so she's got a battle on her hands I suspect.

You can make a decent underground repair and fill the box with magic gel, but for me, I would want it reinstating to what it was before they came along, IE an unbroken run of cable.

I have taken delivery of some fence panels and bricks.

We inherited our fence when we arrived here this time in '99.

Like most things to do with this house, the fence was a very odd bodge job.

Instead of wooden or concrete posts, there are brick built pillars with a couple of courses of bricks in between to act as gravel boards.

The fence panels are held in place by strips of 2x1 either side of each end of the fence panel.

We placed all the panels soon after we arrived. But now it needs doing again. It is a party fence, but the new neighbour does not want to share the cost. We would like a fence that isn't fallen down and don't want a bust-up so we are tickling it up once again.

Really, the whole lot needs ripping out and doing properly, but that will have to be put off until we are richer.

The garden is higher at the back and there is no shrubbery up there, so the existing 4 foot panels allow line of sight through next door's garden to the side road next to them (they are on the corner).

So we plan to add a few more courses to the brick pillars and fit 6 foot panels to the two bays at the back of the garden, then revert to 4 footers.

Where the 4 foot panels are there is a lot of bushery so it's not crucial to go to 6 foot.

I handballed the 83 bricks from the front to the back garden and was absolutely bushed by the end of it!

A far cry from my yoof when I would work on site all day long and still feel like a spring chicken when I got home!

16860755147976156169489938196085.jpg

You can make a decent underground repair and fill the box with magic gel, but for me, I would want it reinstating to what it was before they came along, IE an unbroken run of cable.
Thats exactly what I told her to say. (y)

Started adding bricks to these pillars.

Mrs S said she would come and fix the shed at the same time. So I started doing the brickwork.

"Love....can you pass me the secateurs?"

Few minutes later....

"Can you get me the spade?"

Bad light stopped play and I gave up at 22:00.

Mrs S: "Oh, you didn't get much done, did you?"
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Now, bear in mind this is the second time ever I have laid any bricks. It won't win any competitions, but hopefully it will be strong and last a few more years.

The trouble now is that I have reached my limit off the ground. I can no longer climb ladders, so not sure how I can add further courses.
Didn't think that one through.....

IMG_20230606_215725_HDR.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back