What have you been doing today?

It failed on the rear brake pads being just down to the metal. I realised that when they put it on the brake tester - performance was fine but I could just hear it as the engine wasn’t running and I wasn’t wearing a helmet at the time.
I had a bit of spare time today so I popped out to the garage at home and fitted the new rear pads to my bike. I think the tester was just being picky - there was at least another couple of hundred yards on those pads…..

IMG_0951.jpeg
IMG_0946.jpeg

Sponsored Links
A suitable day for it, so we got the pressure washer out, to clean the drive up. There is quite a lot of it to be cleaned and so, 5 hours later, two of us working in shifts - only half was done. Now abandoned for the day, we'll tackle the rest tomorrow, maybe. I'd forgotten just how therapeutic it can be.

Sponsored Links
Been like the repair shop at ours today. Mrs Mottie wanted a Laura Ashley Footstall to match our Laura Ashley sofa but at over £600, she wasn’t getting one. We bided our time and got a secondhand one from eBay. £70. Didn’t match our sofa and you could only buy the fabric from Laura Ashley in 5m lengths at £50 a metre so would have cost £250 for the fabric. We bided our time some more and I managed to get a 4.6 metres end of roll off cut from eBay for £40. Mrs Mottie cut out and made the cover for the main part today - she's pretty handy with a sewing machine and now we just have the lid to do which will be a doddle. I was on stapling duty and removed about 200 staples and fixed the bottom part on. It fitted perfect and when the top is done, it will be 'as new'. She'll still have nearly 4 metres left so she's going to make some spare cushion and arm covers.

IMG_0953.jpeg

Last edited:
Still getting bored out of my skull in hospital. :(

A whole week now and still no sign of getting home because my infection markers are still too high. I'm more at risk of getting an infection in here than I am at home! The ward is very warm with no air movement, so I have to keep popping down 7 floors to get some fresh air.
Hope you’re out and feeling better soon Conny.

Sounds expensive if it excludes all appliances. We paid about 5.3K from Howdens with all appliances (Lamona) . That was during the first lockdown, prices have gone up a fair bit since then.
I beat Howdens down by getting a quote from DIY kitchens, based in Yorkshire they have just 1 showroom and sell exclusively online. Fitted one last year for a customer and they were happy.
Worth visiting their website as you can draw up your own design and get a price, at the very least it will tell if Magnets are in the ball park.
That's where I got my kitchen. I think genuinely pretty good.

You two are making me doubt myself now. It does look a bit like the Allendale sage green one from Howdens. I’ll have to have a word with the boss.

You two are making me doubt myself now. It does look a bit like the Allendale sage green one from Howdens. I’ll have to have a word with the boss.

It took a trip up to north. The show room is a little north of Donny. It's worth a visit.

My biggest regret with my kitchen was I never went with Formica worktops.

Amazes me that granite is geologically almost impregnable yet, when fashioned into a posh worktop, has all the resilience of a Rich Tea in a hot cuppa.......
Agreed. Never again.
Scrub that. I’ve just told Mrs Mottie that granite ain’t that good. "So what" she said, "We're having quartz". I really must pay more attention…..

Quartz. Quartz. We’re having quartz!

Sponsored Links
Back