What height should a work bench be

B

Bodd

Hello.all.

I know different heights to suit different people will always be the case in an ideal world.

But if you has a work bench with a vice what height would you want it to be.

Is there a standard height like 900 mm for a kitchen work top.????????????

Regards Bod

Sponsored Links
What height?

So you can easily park yer bum on it? So you can reach yer tea? So you can see the tele? :p

i make loads off furniture and the best is knee height and waist height
for smaller intricate with hand tools elbow height
so a compromise would be waist height

Sponsored Links
For average height workman, 900 for wood or metal working, and 450 for saw horse.

It all depends what your going to be doing on it and with what and for how long and your height.
If your going to be hauling heavy stuff onto it, the height of your knuckles when hanging down (as if you have a big box in them), if your going to be stood at it a lot working on small stuff then at elbow height, if your going to be sat at it then at elbow height when sat down.

You don't want to be bending over for long periods because its too low or have it too high that you cannot see into something your working on. Or too high that hauling something heavy causes you problems.

I.E. I remember having a big old R107 valve communications receiver that really needed 2 to lift, it was a right haul to get it onto a bench to service, luckily it was at just the right height for me to lift it onto.

What this is all about is.

I just had my van kitted out by a proffesional Racking company.

I can stand up in my mid wheel base Mid height van.
The bench stands from the floor 1030mm heigh. The top of the vice is 1200mm this comes to my rib cage.

If I saw Im sawing up hill

I'm 5'5 and it just does not feel right.

Bod

Thanks for all your replys would still appriciate some feed back.

I've just checked mine and in the workshop the height is 37 1/2" (950mm) and the sawhorse in the van is 26 1/2" (670mm). All depends on what one is comfortable with I suppose.

As others have said, it very much depends what you plan to use it for. The best thing would be to make it adjustable if you can.

Norcon,

what a great job you've made of the bench - i hope that you dont mind me saying really well done.

All credit to Chris Schwarz and his book. That design goes back about 150 years when hand tools were very much at the fore of woodworking.

Norcon,

Just like to add my admiration!!

Mind you, I know you are a serious woodworker when you are buying a Domino!!!

Envious is not the word..............

;)

The best height for a workbench is about 3 inches below your elbow if you are planning to do varied work standing in front of it. If you are planning a lot of work using a vice, the top of the vice should be about an inch below your elbow.

3" below the elbow is far too high.
Unless you got real low elbows.

Sponsored Links
Back