What insulation are they using to replace the flammable ones they are removing on high rise flats after Grenfell?

Sponsored Links
Mineral wool. Also available with what's called an 'ablative coating' which increases resistance to fire and smoke.

I guess that most things are flammable if the temperature (and duration of exposure) are high/long enough.

Sponsored Links
Yes but they contained polyethylene insulation which is highly flammable, much like Celotex, Kingspan etc. Hence no longer permitted above certain heights.

Yes but they contained polyethylene insulation which is highly flammable, much like Celotex, Kingspan etc. Hence no longer permitted above certain heights.

Yeah, the flammable panels were permitted but not for the height of the building.

The reasoning seems to be that less tall buildings can be controlled by a fireman with a hose in the event of a fire. Grenfell was too tall for ground based hoses.

Days after the horrific event, I jumped on to the Hammersmith and City line. I noticed a woman doing the sign of the cross as we approached Grenfell, at the time, it didn't dawn on me that we would be passing about 70 metres away from the block.

The building currently has scaffolding wrapped with tarps saying "we love Grenfell". I am guessing that it is the insurance company that has erected the scaffolding- they evidently didn't care about the residents until a claim was submitted.

Personally, I think leaving the burned out shell (without coverings) might be beneficial. It will serve as a reminder that building control and corporate greed is far from perfect.

Well there was an industrial accident quite a few years ago when the US army spilt some rocket fuel oxidiser from a railway transporter, it set fire to the concrete to a depth of about a metre, so nothing is absolutely fireproof!

Is there any insulation that is not flammable?
Foamglas.

And (useful in a house but perhaps not for external cladding ) mineral wool.

I use the pink fire grade expanding foam, but more for draught and smoke sealing of gaps than for insulation. It chars but does not burn. I don't know what it's made of.

Is there any insulation that is not flammable?
I've seen metal (plastic coated galvanised steel), phenolic plastics (which are relatively fire proof) and cement fibreboard used for cladding with insulations such as mineral wool and Kooltherm (phenolic PIR insulation). Cement fibre board is also a sound and heat insulator (but is heavy in thicknesses of 12mm and above)

Pink AFFF foam is no longer permitted for most insulation work as it apparently breaks-down over time and loses its' fire retardant properties. The current stuff is actually blue and rated for 60 minutes, although not many places I know permit it

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back