What is going on with this switch wiring?

Sponsored Links
Yes, the landing light.

I have referred to the comments.

I wondered if anyone here had any comments as to how it was wired up.

Sponsored Links
It's towards the end !

start at 18 mins.

Well it doesn't work... And will the existing cable, don't consider it possible.
If the same person did it who fitted the CU (who had no clue on MCB ratings) then i'm not surprised

Arrgh why is the audio programme so low! -12dB??

I can't see why it wouldn't work other than the fault was with the upstairs switch which was not replaced. The wiring looks correct.

Jordan suggested the T&E coming into the landing light was not the same as the one leaving the hall switch.

The common to the landing light is a yellow that looks like one of a three core.

The others seem to be connected in the back box.

I was trying to work out what everything does, but got stumped.

Do you have any theories?

In the back box is
Twin and earth from down sw
Twin and earth to ceiling rose as usual I assume
New 3c+e to rose. Red and blue connected to twin and e

I assume the t&e on the up sw, goes to the rose which it why the sw at least function upstairs !

In the back box is
Twin and earth from down sw
Twin and earth to ceiling rose as usual I assume
New 3c+e to rose. Red and blue connected to twin and e

I assume the t&e on the up sw, goes to the rose which it why the sw at least function upstairs !
I haven't watched it all, If I'm honest I've got to the stage with him [and others] that I have better things to do with my life than watch them try to tell us how much better they are than everyone else.
So I watched from 18 or so onwards, I have a slightly different interpretation to you but in the absense of any salient information or evidence of any testing [and if he put his camera down no it wouldn't take an hour to test] I don't think we are in a position to be making guesses, educated or not.

Fair enough.

I didn't post the video to showcase the spark. I just wanted to get some views of sparks here as to how this has been wired and why it might not be working.

From my perspective, I can't see a T&E going up, but I can see the 3 core going up.

It just seems a very odd way to wire a switch.

I assume this alteration has been carried out to do away with a borrowed neutral.

But there's got to be easier ways, surely?!

The way it looks wired to me is 2 x T&E coming up to the landing switch, one is the strappers for the landing light that connect to the switch and the other is the feed for the upstairs lights which connect to two cores of the 3C&E going up to the rose with the third connected to the switch taking the switched live to the rose. That's how it looks wired to me, odd but I've seen lighting circuits wired all sorts of weird and wonderful ways. What we didn't see in the video is if Jordan actually tested out the cable between the switches or the light switch at the top of the stairs, he just changed the two gang switch downstairs in the video but he might well have edited any further testing out of the final video, he did say he was looking at the issue as a freebie/favour to the client so I can understand if he didn't want to delve into it further. If the cable is indeed faulty I'd quote to install wireless switching for the landing light, saves lifting floorboards and making a mess.

What I don't understand is that there is an RCBO board, so presumably there has to have been alteration work on the borrowed neutral?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back