Cable management in an airing cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is this considered acceptable, or should the flexes be under a cable clamp? It's in the airing cupboard, so the devices they're attached to don't move, and there would be no reason to touch them - except by accident.
(Posting here and in the heating and plumbing group to see if electricians and heating engineers agree with each other.)

[Edit for punctuation and to remove duplicate picture]

Sponsored Links
Is this considered acceptable, or should the flexes be under a cable clamp? It's in the airing cupboard, so the devices they're attached to don't move, and there would be no reason to touch them - except by accident.
As far as regulations are concerned, no (as I think you realise) it is not 'acceptable'.

Firstly, as you say, there should be some sort of 'cable restraint' (e.g. cable clips etc.) to prevent any of the wires being yanked out (no matter how unlikely you think it is that such would happen). Secondly, the insulation of the 'inner cores' of cables should not be present/visible outside of the box - i.e. the outer sheath, before the part which is stripped, should enter the box (and be kept in that position by the cable clips or whatever).

Kind Regards, John

As above, and whoever installed that would have done far better to buy one of the many junction boxes designed for the purpose - which are supplied with numbered terminals, cable clamps and labels to identify the cables.

heating_wiring.jpg

Sponsored Links
As above, and whoever installed that would have done far better to buy one of the many junction boxes designed for the purpose - which are supplied with numbered terminals, cable clamps and labels to identify the cables.

View attachment 139372
But sadly I find that many heating 'engineers' still fit the cheapest option which does not have such clamps or else omit to use the clamps.
20161018_154112.jpg

C'mon, be fair - they did use one of the clamps :)

Kind Regards, John
Ah ah, no they didn't, the cables passed over the top clamp. All of the others were missing, the bottom entry had been chopped out to make more space for the number of cables that entered there (more than remaining as a zone had just been removed). I guess the clips had also been removed for more space.

Don't overlook the crappy 'grommet' made from a piece of T&E outer casing leaving single insulated cores exposed

Also, this is an interesting way to earth the back box:

upload_2018-4-1_9-41-55.png

I wonder how well it works?

Don't overlook the crappy 'grommet' made from a piece of T&E outer casing leaving single insulated cores exposed
That's gone as well as the FCU's were moved to a more accessible location.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back