Airing cupboard of shame.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This week I've been getting my hands dirty back on the domestic, and have spend the afternoon amongst the 'frillies' in an airing cupboard.
The owner (had house from new for over 40 years) insists (and, sadly, I don't doubt her) that all the work they have ever had done was done by 'proper' sparks.

Yes, the hanging connector blocks are as found, uninsulated, and live. They supply a pair of wall lights, the feed consists of one double insulated black and a red single and earth (not connected to the metal light switch or metal light fittings. A short length of 2-core orange flex connects the choc-blocks to the switch, so somewhere, somebody has a lawnmower that won't quite get to the bottom of the garden :LOL:

This is a 2.8kW immersion heater wired up with some form of VIR singles for phase and neutral and a single PVC red for the 'cpc' and as if that wasn't good enough, its all jammed into a 13A plugtop, which used to plug into a single 13A socket fed from a dedicated 15A radial.

I also discovered an abortion of a 8-way central heating junction box with an abortion of an attempt at a Y-plan, the problem was that it was possible to have hot water on its own but when the rads fired up the hot water did also, overriding the cylinder stat and meaning the hot water in the house came out piping hot, this had gone on for all of the 30 years since the CH system was installed, the occupiers having been told by the original plumber (and subsequent ones who didn't fancy opening a can of worms) that this was just the way their system worked and was a limitation of Y-Plans :rolleyes: Oh, and the supply for the system came from a 13A fused 3-pin plug wired with twin and earth. The pump and cylinder stat were also wired in t&e :mad:

Even after 4 hours, I can feel there is more to come from this house, I'll be posting anything else I find, along with a completed 17th edition board (even if it is a cheap one!)[/img]

Sponsored Links
This week I've been getting my hands dirty back on the domestic, and have spend the afternoon amongst the 'frillies' in an airing cupboard.

That's nothing to boast about, even less to post on a public forum!!!

This is a 2.8kW immersion heater wired up with some form of VIR singles for phase and neutral and a single PVC red for the 'cpc'

Your picture isn't that clear, but they look like they might be asbestos insulated wires :eek:

Sponsored Links
Asbestos insulated, new to me, allthough I did hear that some old flex on irons had asbestos in it.

Found a few of these in the kitchen, double unswitched socket outlets, no cpc sleeving used. The outlets in the kitchen were wired 2.5mm in the form of a radial final, protected by a 30A wire.

Have come across asbestos sheathed cable a couple of times before, find it on old lamp fixtures and dimmers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back