What is the largest 'flex' commonly available ?

Now, if you've a 5m length of 3C (or 4C) 6mm² flex (any shades at all) I'd be most appreciative and would get the h/s out. If you've a PPal a/c I'd foward something to cover beer costs.
I assume you've already done this, but if you look on eBay for 6mm² flex, you will find umpteen examples on offer. For example, this one (click here) offers everything up to 5-core 16mm² (albeit at £13.42 per metre - so quite a few pints of beer for 5m)!

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Have you considered speaker cable?

http://cpc.farnell.com/vdc/268-582-000/cable-speaker-8x2-5mm-black-per/dp/CB15878

That is 8 core 2.5mm². So by grouping the cores together you should get two conductors with an effective CSA of 7.5mm² and one with an effective CSA of 5mm². It is also (from experiance) an extremely nice cable, very flexible and with a very tough jacket. There is also a 6-core version

http://cpc.farnell.com/vdc/268-562-...0&ddkey=http:en-CPC/CPC_United_Kingdom/search

Unfortunately CPC are out of stock right now (more stock expected in about a fortnight) and most other suppliers only sell it by the reel. Vann Damme sell it directly by the meter but at a substantially higher price than CPC

https://www.vdctrading.com/shop/van...eries-Multicore-Tour Grade-Loudspeaker-Cable/

I dont understand why the heck they changed 12v into using brown and blue also.
Seems stupidity in my eyes, but heck thats waht 7671 says now. Luckily equipment manufactures dont have to follow 7671 lol

Seems stupidity in my eyes, but heck thats waht 7671 says now. Luckily equipment manufactures dont have to follow 7671 lol
Well, the harmonised colours don't take any account of voltage.

If you're thinking of 12V (or any other voltage) DC, that becomes even more messy/confusing if one side is earthed. As I understand it, if neither side earthed, the old red/black changed to brown/grey, which you may say is 'bad enough'. However, if one side of the supply is earthed, the earthed side is always blue (whether positive or negative) and the non-earthed side is brown if positive and grey if negative. I leave it to you to decide what you think about that!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Well, the harmonised colours don't take any account of voltage.

If you're thinking of 12V (or any other voltage) DC, that becomes even more messy/confusing if one side is earthed. As I understand it, if neither side earthed, the old red/black changed to brown/grey, which you may say is 'bad enough'. However, if one side of the supply is earthed, the earthed side is always blue (whether positive or negative) and the non-earthed side is brown if positive and grey if negative. I leave it to you to decide what you think about that!

Kind Regards, John
Well not much has changed there then has it? As the earthed side was always black during the red/blue days.

BT of course went their own way with several different versions of the same thing...

Edit: colours corrected

Last edited:
Sadly not many manufacturers have understood this yet as most items, that I come across, supplied for 12 or 24 volt vehicular use still have red/black cables but some French suppliers are now using black & green/yellow

Well not much has changed there then has it? As the earthed side was always blue during the red/black days.
That's not what Table 7E in BS7671 says. It says that, with 'old' (pre-harmonsation) colours, the earthed side (whether positive or negative) was black, and that the non-earthed side was red if positive and blue if negative.

Kind Regards, John

That's not what Table 7E in BS7671 says. It says that, with 'old' (pre-harmonsation) colours, the earthed side (whether positive or negative) was black, and that the non-earthed side was red if positive and blue if negative.

Kind Regards, John
Apologies for my moment of madness, that is what my brain was saying but my fingers appear to be under the influence of post match inebriation.
Thank you for the correction.

My previous post has now been edited

Single-core flexible cables in a wide range of CSAs and colours are available (e.g. for automotive use), so you could 'wrap' a 3-core cable yourself (maybe even with heat shrink). There may also be some automotive multi-core cables of high CSA (e.g. for 'trailer connections' etc).

as JohnW2 suggested - We regularly use 6mm and 10mm CSA flexible singles from RS. Make it up into a harness of sorts using expanable braided sleeve and a length of self-adhesive heat shrink on each end to make a neat job.

R852407-01.jpg

12 volt there were two standard wiring colours, Bosch pos = Black and White = neg, red for speakers. Lucas black = neg then base colour brown unfused pos, purple fused pos, white ign switched pos unfused and green pos ign fused, trace colours give what it does seem to remember green/white left indicator.

It does seem the old Lucas colours have gone, we seem to have moved to Bosch with numbers telling you what the wire does, 31 = neg and 30 = pos. I have been out of auto so long can't remember most the numbers 273 think left hand indecactor?

But when a proshaft goes and cuts harness, I know which system I want to have to repair. 10 black wires clearly centre of harness so no numbers is a pain to sort out.

However 40 roles of cable to make a new harness not cheap, I used 7 core cable for rewired so much easier with colours.

The EU mains cable was just as bad, brown, and two blacks, you needed a phase rotation meter before harmonised, when one black was swapped for grey.

12 volt there were two standard wiring colours, Bosch pos = Black and White = neg, red for speakers. Lucas black = neg then base colour brown unfused pos, purple fused pos, white ign switched pos unfused and green pos ign fused, trace colours give what it does seem to remember green/white left indicator.
Oh I wish it was as easy as you imply. My Vauxhall Viva generally followed your Lucas format but Dads Victor did not. The early Austin Maxi did but mine was a hybrid between mk1 & mk2 so at a multiway connector there were significant colour changes. Dads Austin princess appeared to be totally random, I recall lots of pink and turquoise.
The Ford Consul & Zephyr although being predominantly the same vehicle were poles apart on wiring colours.

As you say blacks and whites with printed numbers is popular now and just as you say a damaged harness can be a real PITA

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back