What is the largest 'flex' commonly available ?

JM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm after some (about 5m - I need to measure) 3 core flex but in R-B-Y colours (R-Y-Bk ideally) for an ELV project (12v) but I need/want 6mm² (or 4mm² at a push) each csa.
Do such size flexes exist and will I be able to get some in old colours (Gy-Br-Bk isn't really going to cut it).

Sponsored Links
I'm after some (about 5m - I need to measure) 3 core flex but in R-B-Y colours (R-Y-Bk ideally) for an ELV project (12v) but I need/want 6mm² (or 4mm² at a push) each csa. Do such size flexes exist and will I be able to get some in old colours (Gy-Br-Bk isn't really going to cut it).
In terms of the title of this thread, I would day that 'commonly available' probably only goes up to 4mm². You won't find 'old colours' cable from any retailer or wholesaler, but you might find some on the likes of eBay.

Single-core flexible cables in a wide range of CSAs and colours are available (e.g. for automotive use), so you could 'wrap' a 3-core cable yourself (maybe even with heat shrink). There may also be some automotive multi-core cables of high CSA (e.g. for 'trailer connections' etc).

Kind Regards, John

6mm² flex ought to be fairly easy to find, but not with those core colours.

If you cannot use Bl/Br/GY, then as John said, buy singles, but I'd suggest using flexible conduit and glands rather than shrinkfit tube...

Google search -

but you will need to look for 4-core as it will have an earth wire as well.

3-core will be brown, blue & green/yellow.

Sponsored Links
Google search - but you will need to look for 4-core as it will have an earth wire as well. ... 3-core will be brown, blue & green/yellow.
I may be wrong but, reading between the lines, I suspect that the OP is hoping to find Red/Black (or Blue)/Yellow so that he can use red and black (or blue) for his (possibly DC) 12V application.

As I implied, I suspect that suppliers of automotive cables etc. might have just what he wants - or, at least, something fairly close.

Kind Regards, John

I have worked with 150 mm² and 185 mm² for supplies to cranes and concrete pumps, as to if you can get over this size don't know.

Common depends on where you work, with construction 150 mm² is common, in domestic it would be unheard of.

Often the larger flex is sold as singles, 16 mm² and above for welding, but with cranes one wants it to auto spool so has to be multi core. For some odd reason auto motive cable tends to be odd sizes 60 mm not 75 mm.

I know I used 16 mm² for a narrow boat, could get 25 mm but hard to get it round tight bends so double 16 mm used.

So 6 mm should be easy, however depends on supplier, and how much they like you, spending £2,000 a month suppliers will go out of their way, one off then hard to find.

The real problem is price, you may find double 4 mm cheaper than 6 mm, this is where it gets interesting. I was talking yesterday to some one wiring a car, to do in Lucas colours would cost arm and leg, so used Bosch numbers instead. We all know 31 is neg and 30 is pos and a box of numbers so much cheaper than all the colours.

old colours
No chance, other than manky old stock from somewhere.

If you can do with black numbered cores, YY cable would be an option, although even that usually has one of the cores green/yellow.

Thanks Gents.
I did glance at ebay for 3, 4-core 3ph old school but none noted.
Looks like singles then. I'll go for some thin-walled (quite robust in variable environments) and maybe up the csa.

Just curious - if you had found flex, then you'd only be able to see the core colours at the ends where you had stripped the outer sheath back.

So why not just oversleeve? You could use heat-shrink, and it would look just fine.

It's a shame the bedding within a 3 core SWA isn't considered to be as tough as normal cable sheath, as you could have stripped down some SWA.

But, but (overall) two of these lines are positive ...
Colours: I mind (and would find Bn,Gy,Bk too confusing in this environment).
The colour are (fact) red, red with yellow stripes (see where I'm going here) and black.
I'd accomodate alomost anything, I even have coloured heatshrink to suite, but as a starting point this is where I am.
Now, if you've a 5m length of 3C (or 4C) 6mm² flex (any shades at all) I'd be most appreciative and would get the h/s out. If you've a PPal a/c I'd foward something to cover beer costs.
Must be copper wire (can be tinned) plastic covered flex - not SWA, SY, sheilded.
Or it is plan B (singles, thin-walled).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back