What is the min angle for rooftiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Our dormer window is flat and leaks. We want to change it to tiles. What is the legal minimum angle for tiles. We can get a 20-22 degrees angle without going all the way to the top of the roof. Is this acceptable/legal? What is the legal requirement?

Sponsored Links
Hi guys

Our dormer window is flat and leaks. We want to change it to tiles. What is the legal minimum angle for tiles. We can get a 20-22 degrees angle without going all the way to the top of the roof. Is this acceptable/legal? What is the legal requirement?

Legal limit ?? Not sure whether there are any legalities, but the min pitch depends on the tile. What tile you choose / can have, depends on how much weight the roof can bear. All that said, I *think* the minimum reccomended pitch is 18 degrees. No doubt someone more capable will come along and tell you what the real deal is.

Hi guys

Legal limit ?? Not sure whether there are any legalities, but the min pitch depends on the tile. What tile you choose / can have, depends on how much weight the roof can bear. All that said, I *think* the minimum reccomended pitch is 18 degrees. No doubt someone more capable will come along and tell you what the real deal is.

Many thanks! I have just found out for double roman tiles it is between 30 and 20 degrees.

plain tiles require a pitch of 35 degrees minimum.

some concrete interlocking tiles. i.e. marley wessex can go as low as 15 degrees.
a lot of the smooth concrete interlocking tiles will deal with 22.5 degrees provided you use a 100mm headlap.

Sponsored Links
plain tiles require a pitch of 35 degrees minimum.

some concrete interlocking tiles. i.e. marley wessex can go as low as 15 degrees.
a lot of the smooth concrete interlocking tiles will deal with 22.5 degrees provided you use a 100mm headlap.

Thanks noseall!

Minimum angle is tile dependent. But its possible to lay them at less than the minimum recommended angle if other precautions are taken to stop water getting in to the roof.

The problem with adding tiles to a dormer, is that you will increase the load on the roof and also on the dormer cheeks. So investigate the timber sizes.

An alternative 'tile' may be the Decra system, which are made out of thin steel and look like tiles.

Or recover with EPDM rubber membrane

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back