what is the truth about smart meters, no BS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I was visiting my gran the other day who is 90 years old and I have noticed she had a smart meter fitted, I never asked when it was fitted but it looks recent. She lives in a council house so no doubt she never had a say in the matter as its their property. My concern is what are the health risks? Are there any? could they be harmful to her? She has always been and still is a very heavy smoker (around 80 years):LOL: but other than that she is still in relatively good health non the less and can look after herself and doesn't rely on any health machines.

So are they harmful to your health, is the meter likely to affect her in anyway or will she be fine? I can never find a straight answer on google about smart meters being harmful or not, there is a lot of contradictory, some say they are and some say they are not.
If there is anyone here who has a smart meter fitted? if so how is it?
cheers

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
My concern is what are the health risks?
None.

Are there any?
No.

could they be harmful to her?
No.

So are they harmful to your health
No.

is the meter likely to affect her in anyway
No.

I can never find a straight answer on google about smart meters being harmful or not, there is a lot of contradictory, some say they are and some say they are not.
Those who say they are harmful are tin-hat brigade loonies.

thanks guys, I can see where you are coming from ttc about them being pointless I think its all *******s and a money making scheme, no benefits to customers,
my only concern was the health side of things, come to think of it though if she can resist the harm from cigarettes for nearly 80 years and make it to 90! I am sure a few possible emf or radiowaves wont do any harm either.

thanks again guys, probably loonies:LOL: like you say bas same people who thought mobile phones were dangerous, no concrete evidence to support these claims.
thanks for putting to bed this nonsense.
cheers guys:)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would say in theory the smart could assist looking after the elderly as one should be able to over the internet check if the central heating is running and the kettle has been used even when the elderly persons home does not have internet. I want to do this with my father-in-law, however to date have not got the access codes to do it.

The WAN connection is GPRS via GSM. Its the equivilent of having a mobile phone in the meter cupboard.
The HAN connection is 2.4GHz 802.11g. Again, the equivilent of having a wireless access point in the meter cupboard.
I guarantee that she was already basking in plenty of RF transmissions before the smart meter went in :D

On another note, we moved into a property that had smart prepayment meters in it. We immediately got them switched to credit meters. The new supplier did it remotely but ballsed it up because they switched the electric first, which had the modem attached to it. The new supplier didn't support the meters in our property so once the switch happened they would 'revert' to standard meters. As soon as they did it they lost communication with the gas meter, which stayed in prepayment mode until we noticed when the credit ran out. (I was away for work, Wife at home with 3 kids) We had no way of topping it up. You can only get emergency credit when it has a connection to the network. I had to explain to the new supplier what they had done. I went through about 5 CSR's before someone understood what I was talking about. To be fair to her she got a meter person out within about 4 hours. He was confused because it didn't have a key or card slot to top up :ROFLMAO:
He swapped it for a normal mechanical meter.

A few weeks on I started to notice strange problems on things connected to the 2.4GHz wireless network. Random disconnections and slow speeds.
I got the spectrum analyser out and found the source of the problems. The bloody smart meter modem :mad:
It was scanning the whole 2.4GHz band and beaconing at full power on every frequency looking for other smart devices/meters and the 'Smart Meter In Home Display'
So I decided that as this was no longer a 'smart meter' installation I didn't need the modem ;)
One seal cut (on the modem, not the meter) and cable unplugged and the modem was dead. The 2.4GHz interference stopped. I logged it with Ofcom.

The only health related item I can is that now she won't have strange meter readers visiting her in her house.
Whether or not you you see that as a good thing is up to you.

They will be unhealthy for certain people, when they get switched OFF accidently, you will be driven mad trying to get it switched back ON.

She lives in a council house so no doubt she never had a say in the matter as its their property.
The meters have absolutely nothing to do with the council, or any other landlord for that matter unless they are the account holder.

The meters have absolutely nothing to do with the council, or any other landlord for that matter unless they are the account holder.
I highly doubt she would have asked for the smart meter.

I highly doubt she would have asked for the smart meter.

its more to do with a phone call or communication to the customer
bigging up the supposed positives and advantages making out its a good thing for free
with no mention off the the cost to fit on everyones bills off perhaps a ton and the negatives off cutting you off remotely by mistake

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back