What is thie self levelling stuff about?

F

flednanders

Dowdy Hoody Neighbours!

Watch you doing there? I hope to see you all at church on Sunday praising the lood gord's grace. With the gord on my side, I can do anything, except DIY!

Can you help a fellow Christian? Or a fellow human being if you're one of those atheist folks!

What is the point of this self leveling compound? I need to lay a nice new floor in my dilapidated old kitchen and the floor's got more slopes than a holy ski resort. Why wouldn't I just mix up a thick screed of pug, lay it down nice and flat then put my tiles atop of that? Everyone's raving about the self leveling compounds but isn't the aim just to get a flat floor? What's wrong with cement and a spirit level?

The gord's grace be upon you, dowdy hoody!

Your friend and neighbour, Fled Nanders.

Sponsored Links
no idea what pug is.

sand/cement screed should be laid to minimum depths so therefore in many occasions it would raise the floor to high for practical use.

self leveling compound aint self levelling if youre not use to using it.ive seen some first timers make a right mess with it and some floors have finished up worse than the originals.

Dokay-Okaly-Do, thank you Chukka63.

From noseall, it seems you should do 50mm screed but could get away with 20mm if using 2 parts granite, 2 parts sharp sand to 1 part cement.

Is there a reason I shouldn't just get an electric chisel, smash the old screed and tiles to pieces so it's at least 30mm deep then lay down a screed like above and use a bit of timber to drag it flat? The slopes on the current floor are so large it'd take at least a week of laying the leveling compound between layers and cost an arm and a leg!

Son of a dun gigaly-on,

Fled

might take you a week doing it that way.how far out is your floor,you can get 5mm per layer with the SLC.

Sponsored Links
15mm, the SLC seems :evil: :evil: devilishly :evil: :evil: expensive but if you think it's the way, well, I'll trust in dog and prey you're right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back