What is this sub-floor and how to even it up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Am planning to tile my cloak room floor, so ripped out my old capret (yes, it had carpet there!) and the underlay. There's a subfloor made of wood, which seems to be glued to the concrete floor underneath. I don't want to pry it out, very messy. So, how to I even the floor - can't lay adhesive directly on it.

What's this sub-floor? How do I even it up and actually, raise it up to a level so that when I put the tiles, its levelled up with the outside room?

Attached is a pic.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20200513_114813_copy_1512x2016.jpg
    20200513_114813_copy_1512x2016.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 188
Sponsored Links
Looks like cork tiles . I've asked for it to be moved to tiling forum

It is cork tiles (googled it now)!

How do I lay normal Porcelin tiles over it? As I mentioned, this cork tiles floor is bit low and needs to be raised up, then only I can put the Porcelin tiles. What can I use to achieve that?

Cork is compressible to a degree, so I doubt that it would be an ideal underlayment for tile. I would not leave it in. Chisel, scrape, chop out then screed - SDS drill and a tile chisel or SDS wood chisel.might do the job. It is likely to be PIA to remove

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back