What kind of downlight is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've got a downlight in the kitchen that's been flickering. I've opened it up, and it looks like there are torx screws in there (please see the photos).
1. What kind of downlight is this?
2. Can I replace the bulb in this unit myself?

Thanks!

Ernst
IMG_5812.JPG

IMG_5813.JPG

Sponsored Links
Do you mean that when it's turned off, it occasionally flashes on?

Or when it's turned on, it sometimes goes off?

Different causes.

How many other lamps are on that circuit, and how many flicker?

Hi JohnD, thanks for your reply. When it's turned on, it flickers. Actually since yesterday it's completely dead. There are 3 lamps on that circuit, and only this one flickers/doesn't go on when I turn on the light switch.

Thank you

The LED shown in your fitting suggests it is highly likely there will be a constant current driver unit between the 230v switched supply and the light fitting. There will be a driver for each of the fittings, so substitute a known working driver to the suspect LED and confirm which is faulty.
The yellow coloured silicone covering the leds often discolours when the leds fail, and yours appears to be ok, hence the need to confirm the condition of the driver.
If required replacement leds of that form factor are available from RS components amongst others.

Sponsored Links
Hi Raykf

Thank very much. I've popped out the unit and found it here: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTCFD12WW.html

It looks like it's been discontinued I'm afraid. Does't look like the driver can be replaced easily either. If anyone knows what the latest version is of this unit, so that I may find a replacement, that would be very much appreciated.

IMG_5826.JPG
IMG_5825.JPG

http://www.primelight.co.uk/product...-dimmable-constant-current/voltage-led-driver
These can be configured for 12 Watt operation.
One of these units would be electrically suitable, however the physical wiring arrangements would require modification.
Your principal choices are to replace with a complete new fitting or modify the existing fitting to accommodate a third party driver as above.

Unless you can see something I can't, we don't know what the specs of the LED are in the failed fitting, so you can't recommend a replacement driver.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back