What kind of fuse is this?

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Is that a decent one to get?

I think the problem came from having the microwave in our freezing cold garage.

Good advice when moving electronics from a cold to warm environment, is to allow the item to acclimatise for several hours before switching on. A cold item will condense a lot of moisture on it's internal parts. Microwaves ovens use high voltages at high currents, which do not mix well with moisture.

Always worth trying a new fuse - fuses do degrade over time and fail without obvious reason, but most likely it failed due to a fault. If the oven lamp was supplied via the fuse, it might be as simple a fault as the lamp going short as it failed. For what a fuse costs, I would try fitting a replacement.

Sponsored Links
Not ideal but the plug fuse would likely span the terminals enough to test the unit, prior to buying the correct fuse if its ok.
REPLACE ALL COVERS BEFORE TRYING THOUGH
Think what RSGAZ may have been getting at was the lamp blowing may have taken out the fuse, hence does the lamp look ok even though it is not lit.

I don’t think it has a lamp at all.

Easy to be sure - A lamp in a microwave will be outside the oven cavity, shining into the cavity via a pattern of small holes in the side of the metal cavity. The magnetrons energy enters the cavity via a small none metallic panel, usually on the same side of the lamp.

If it was in a cold garage it might have had moisture condense on the internals and that might have caused a surge when you turned it on, so it might work after you replace the fuse, but it is best kept somewhere where the temperature and humidity are uncontrolled. in the garage it might get to 5C overnight, as the outside air warms up later, warmer air seeps in an moisture will condense on the colder metal, it why things rust so well in a garage.

For info for others..
Usually two fuses inside, one will intentionally blow if the door mechanism or micro switch fails. I have known it to blow if the door is slammed, the door micro switch then “beats” the safety switch opening. The fuse is then across the mains. As has been said NEVER operate it with case removed and nothing inside!
As a diy-er don’t touch anything else inside unless you’ve made a will.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back