What kind of wall have I got?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
I'm very keen to hang my new LCD TV on my bedroom wall, its an internal wall next to the bathroom. However, Im not quite sure what the wall is made of? I cant seem to find a stud, I have been poking the wall with an awl and the wall seems semi solid - dont quite know how to describe it but its not your regular plaster board where you feel nothing when you dig in - just wondering what kind of wall is this - its does feel fairly strong - what it be ok to hang the TV on it? TV weighs about 17kg. My house is about 20 years old. Any advice would be helpfu. Many thanks Zippie. :D

Sponsored Links
zippy - you'll need to be certain of the material. Drill a hole in the wall (down below, out of sight) and observe the colour of the dust; it'll probably be grey in colour, indicating aerated blocks (Thermalite, Breeze, or similar).

Most wall brackets for plasmas & lcd tellies are drilled to accept 8mm dia fixings. So go to your local B&Q and get some 8mm Sleeve Anchors, maybe 90mm - 119mm long depends on the thickness of the bathroom wall. Care when drilling the wall that you don't go all the way through into the bathroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back