What law would you change?

Sponsored Links
On a serious note, I'd make a law banning legitimate loan sharking, whereby, legit loans can only be say 10% above base rate.
To be fair, there are some good services about now, being advertised on TV - the "borrow up to 400 pounds for up to 30 days" type things, whereby if worked out, the APR is about 2500%, but the APR is irrelevant because it'll be paid back within 30 days. And the APR is made crystal clear on screen too.

Errr, no, it's still loan sharking. The APR has to be made crystal clear, at least that bit is law, the APR still holds, 2500% please, that's loan sharking.

On a serious note, I'd make a law banning legitimate loan sharking, whereby, legit loans can only be say 10% above base rate.
To be fair, there are some good services about now, being advertised on TV - the "borrow up to 400 pounds for up to 30 days" type things, whereby if worked out, the APR is about 2500%, but the APR is irrelevant because it'll be paid back within 30 days. And the APR is made crystal clear on screen too.

Errr, no, it's still loan sharking. The APR has to be made crystal clear, at least that bit is law, the APR still holds, 2500% please, that's loan sharking.

Disagree, if I wanted to borrow a tenner for a month and someone told me I could but would have to pay back £11 at the end of the month, I wouldn't be that bothered. They have to make their money as that is their business...but that is 120% odd APR. If they would only make 10% APR I borrow £10 for a month and i pay back £10.08 after a month...what's in it for them??

Sponsored Links
Theres multiple acts that want scrapping.

1. The Health and Safety laws want going through, and the H&S Executive given instructions to stop the petty interference in ordinary peoples lives and concentrate on stopping train crashes and things of that scale.

most of the examples of ridiculous health and safety stuff are company policies put in place by head office health and safety officers trying to cover their arses and justify their jobs. Virtually none of the crap you see in the papers has anything to do with the hse and their officers

And if you couldn't pay it back?

...don't take the money!

Loan sharks operate by fees added onto fees added onto fees, which are not announced at the time of borrowing

"You're two days late with your payment, your debt has just gone up from 200 to 400!"

That is wrong!

Saying "You're borrowing £500, in a months time you are agreeing to pay £550, and if you don't you will incur another £25 charge for each week you do not pay" is NOT the same. You are being told in advance.

Lincsbodger wrote "7. Private CCTV needs to be illegal if it captures images from public places.""

I disagree with that one Lincs. There have been many court cases where private CCTV evidence has led to the conviction of the perpetrators.
Just think on a bit there. Let's say your house/ garden/car etc was being vandalised by the neighbourhood yobs. Your neighbour has his own CCTV, which just happens to pick up scenes from the street.
Local yobs causing the trouble are arrested and claim they were miles away at the time. Neighbours CCTV evidence, proves they were there, committing the aforementioned criminal acts. Would you hesitate to allow his evidence to be used against these yobs??

al786 said:
I would legalize drugs and end this undue war, which has laws that make criminals out of so many people

Drat! While I was putting together a more detailed answer, you beat me to it! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

We should certainly scrap the laws on possession which do nobody any good. If you want to bust the criminal gangs who control the supply, you should get users on your side. Think about it; they are the ones who can tell you exactly where every dealer is. :idea: :idea: :idea:

The sale of drugs can come under the same rules that govern the sale of alcohol and tobacco. This would also allow you to grow your own cannabis but not sell it. That's a natural extension of the law on home brewing.

You can pick magic mushrooms but not 'make a preparation' from them. That's just like saying that you can ferment your own alcohol but not distill it. New drugs are appearing every day. These are easily dealt with by existing rules too. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Theres multiple acts that want scrapping.

1. The Health and Safety laws want going through, and the H&S Executive given instructions to stop the petty interference in ordinary peoples lives and concentrate on stopping train crashes and things of that scale.

most of the examples of ridiculous health and safety stuff are company policies put in place by head office health and safety officers trying to cover their a**es and justify their jobs. Virtually none of the crap you see in the papers has anything to do with the hse and their officers

Well not entirely true. My wife, for example, works in a nursing home, doing the laundry. The laundry room is separate, and has one singe step up into it. The HSE came round, and despite the fact that building has been a nursing home for more than 20 years, and there has never been a single example of anyone tripping up over the step, they made the nursing home put a wooden slope to it, yellow stripey lines all over it and a hand rail. I was interested to note the following winter, someone slipped on the snow covered wooden ramp, thereby causing the only know accident ever to occur on that spot.

I also note another case in the news where a lady came home to find out local council HSE has removed all th flags of St George strung up round here house , on the basis they were a safety hazard, which was clearly utter ******. The council was forced to backtrack, apologise and send round two guys with a cherry picker to put them back up.

These are the sorts of petty interference im talking about, it has to stop, HSE has bigger fish to fry and shouldn't be wasting taxpayers money on such petty issues.

Lincsbodger wrote "7. Private CCTV needs to be illegal if it captures images from public places.""

I disagree with that one Lincs. There have been many court cases where private CCTV evidence has led to the conviction of the perpetrators.
Just think on a bit there. Let's say your house/ garden/car etc was being vandalised by the neighbourhood yobs. Your neighbour has his own CCTV, which just happens to pick up scenes from the street.
Local yobs causing the trouble are arrested and claim they were miles away at the time. Neighbours CCTV evidence, proves they were there, committing the aforementioned criminal acts. Would you hesitate to allow his evidence to be used against these yobs??

Not if his camera was licenced and approved. I want people to have the opportunity to object to having a private CCTV pointing at them or capturing images of them. If you can present a reasonable cause to point a camera at a public place, then fair enough, but there should be opportunity later on to say 'ok, the yobs have moved on, there no more reason to have that camera, time to take it down'.

OK here my list number two:

1. Clamping on private land needs to be made illegal, as it is in Scotland. Ticketing on private land needs a legally enforceable set of rules, and legally defined penalties and remedies – it needs a PATAS for private ticketing and an Ombudsman with teeth to control the Security Industry, home of some of the biggest crooks, cowboys, and robbers outside the building industry.

2. The current laws governing firearms ownership in the UK are overly restrictive. Both the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988 and the Firearms (Amendment)(No2) Act 1997 were passed at times of significant outcry against firearms ownership. Indeed, the Home Affairs Select Committee concluded that a ban on handguns in the wake of the Dunblane massacre would be "panic legislation".

A report by the Center of Defence Studies, (Imperial College, London), revealed that the Handgun bans had no effect on the criminal use of illegally held Firearms in Britain.

The private ownership of handguns was effectively banned in Great Britain in 1997. All registered handguns were collected by the police and destroyed. Since then, there have been an average of between 4,000 and 5,000 recorded firearm offences involving handguns every year. Criminals who want to use handguns don't seem to have too much difficulty in obtaining them, but they aren't stealing them from licensed gun owners. A pointless law.

3. The Safeguarding Vulnerable People Act...which will require 11 million people working with children or the elderly to obtain a certificate allowing them to continue to do so yet will be easily evaded by those few individuals who are a danger to children;

4. The Hunting Act - More foxes have died every year since the Act came into force than ever before – amounts to nothing les than townie looney left labourites interfering in country practices they don’t understand.

4. The Children Act - All 25,000 state and private nursery schools, child minders and playgroups are required to follow a new statutory framework dubbed the 'nappy curriculum'.

6. Smoking Ban - It has interfered both with personal freedom and with commercial enterprise, and probably a major contributing factor in the decline of Pubs. Should be made optional, ie pubs must decide if they want to be smoking or non smoking and display a sign outside. Its then up to you if you work there or drink there.

7 Housing Act - which brought us Hips in the midst of a property price slump. Hips is utterly pointless.

8. European Arrest Warrant - which allows British citizens to be extradited to another jurisdiction to stand trial for an offence that is not a crime in the UK;

9. Dangerous Dogs Act, which became synonymous with hasty and ill-thought-out legislation

10. War Crimes Act, pushed through using the Parliament Act but which has resulted in not a single conviction;

11. Religious Hatred Act which made a bad thought a crime.

12. The Licensing Act which made it an offence to play a piano in a pub without authorisation. Pub opening hours need reigning back to something like they used to be - 11:00 - 15:00 and 17:00 - 23:00 to get a grip on binge drinking and drink fuelled violence

13. Make it legal to grow and own cannabis for personal use only.

OK here my list number two:
4. The Hunting Act - More foxes have died every year since the Act came into force than ever before – amounts to nothing les than townie looney left labourites interfering in country practices they don’t understand.

12. The Licensing Act which made it an offence to play a piano in a pub without authorisation. Pub opening hours need reigning back to something like they used to be - 11:00 - 15:00 and 17:00 - 23:00 to get a grip on binge drinking and drink fuelled violence

Any goverment that repeals the hunting with dogs ban should also decriminalise cock fighting, dog fighting, and bear baiting, as they are essentially the same thing: An animal being used to attack another animal for the entertainment of humans.

re: licensing. Why should the hours I choose to drink alcohol be dictated to me?
Perhaps that should read: why should the hours I choose to get drunk be dictated to me?

re: licensing. Why should the hours I choose to drink alcohol be dictated to me?
Perhaps that should read: why should the hours I choose to get drunk be dictated to me?

because Blairs 'cafe culture' has not emerged, and what we have got instead is an explosion in binge drinking and drunken violence. Allowing people to drink whenever they like clearly doesnt work, and just results in much abuse. When we had the old licensing laws we didnt have binge drinking and we didnt have so much violence. Doesnt take Einstein to work out which set of drinking times is better for Society.

Sponsored Links
Back