What lighting type is this - Want to add a Sonoff Mini

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am wanting to add a Sonoff Mini (Alexa Control) to some of my lights at home. It was recommended to me by a friend as it requires a live and neutral at the ceiling rose and it can be placed in the ceiling.

However, having taken off the ceiling rose and the switch, I can't see what type of wiring I have. The house manual (Jelson, Circa 2001) says the lighting is a "Loop-in" type, but the wiring diagrams online seem to look different.

The first room is the kitchen which has a single ceiling rose and a single switch. Images below. If I could identify the wiring type/spec at least I could start to research it. Any help would be appreciated.

The photos below show the rose and the switch, I had the switch moved to the outside of the kitchen by an electrician (Because the door opened into the kitchen and hid the switch) so he moved it to the other side of the wall for me, the hallway.

WhatsApp Image 2020-02-15 at 12.54.33.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-02-15 at 12.55.37.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-02-15 at 12.56.30.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Line looped at the switch
Neutral looped at the ceiling.

Neither place has both, so for devices that require them, it's a total bust.

Thanks for that. I assume it's an approved scheme? Does it have a name or standard that i could look into.

Sponsored Links
It’s a method of wiring which was very popular in the 60s - 80s as it requires less copper than other methods. It is known as the singles or conduit method.

It has generally fallen out of favour these days as circuits have got more complicated and several lights per room and multigang switches are now commonplace.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back