What material to replace asbestos panel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a concrete sectional garage with an apex roof. Above the doors is a triangular panel 2.4m long, and 0.5m tall at its highest point. Probably made from one rectangular sheet 1.2m x 0.5m and cut on the diagonal to give two right angle triangles back to back.

Currently asbestos, but I'm having it removed as it is crumbling in places.

So I'm looking for something to replace it with that I can fasten to the metal frame. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
There is stuff called asbestolux which is a replacement but asbestos free
What about upvc? Depends on the state of finish of the rest of it

Take care when removing the old stuff. I'd have a massive sheet of black polythene stood by and perhaps cover the entire sheet with duct tape before removal. My location tip takes domestic asbestos by appointment so long as it is double wrapped.

Thanks very much I'll look into that.

I'm paying a contractor to remove the old asbestos. Probably overkill but I'd rather not risk it.

There is stuff called asbestolux which is a replacement but asbestos free
What about upvc? Depends on the state of finish of the rest of it

Looked into Asbestolux and I think that's the asbestos version - if you meant Supalux it sounds ideal but it's pretty expensive.

If I went with uPVC cladding, how could I fix it? If I could assemble it on the ground, cut it to size and if it's rigid enough, then I guess I could simply silicone it in. Would that work do you think? Guessing I'll need some battens to fix it to and give it rigidity.

Sponsored Links
wow it looks like I have two accounts... that caused a few moments of confusion!

Sorry about that... I auto-logged in to my PC when I got home with the new account. No idea why I have two.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back