What, no Jag?

Sponsored Links
Yes but the Jags are made in the uk and the money for the car trickles down to many uk companies.
No idea if the BMW is armoured in Germany or the UK

Either way, it does present an interesting image

Almost as sensible as £2.5 million on a Downing St Media Centre and getting a Russian firm to do it.

Sponsored Links
Toyota have stuff made here, Not sure about Nissan. BMW have an engine plant here.

The gov also have a thing about Honda. Hybrid I assume having proved it's CO2 beneficial - lesser mortals maybe. Not sure.

But a No10 source reportedly told the publication: “The Government Car Service only use British manufactured cars and there are no plans to move away from championing British industry.

It's a long time since I've driven an A8, twenty five years at least but I have to concede they are very nice cars, seems quite a few leaders/govts purchase armoured versions so Audi are obviously well equipped to provide them.

The issue is jaguar havnt brought out any new jags for a considerable time because the idiot (Thierry balore, french btw) who took over as CEO cancelled everything and wants to take them more upmarket apparently that's where the money is.... Thierry track record at Renault wasn't great and so far I can't see him being at jaguar for too long either,

One of the cars he cancelled was the xj replacement that was due to be all electric, and was literally months from release.

This left a huge gap in sales in a market they would usually be top of people's lists in (chaufers, the very well off etc etc)

So Jag have had to soldier on with an xf which is at the end of its life cycle, an xe which is also at the end of its life cycle, not only that they have greatly diminished the choices available in these models.

They then have a handful of SUV's, all cars are basically at the end or coming towards the end of their life cycle rather rapidly, yet expected to soldier on with minor updates until 2025.

The SUV's and the saloons mentioned above aren't really suitable for dignitaries, or cars the traditional chauffeur in this market would use, they weren't designed for that purpose.

I'm surprised Tata motors allowed Thierry's vision to play out, jaguar are selling very few cars, and with no new models aren't able to keep repeat business either as the would be buyers are shopping elsewhere (predominantly German), coupled with the chip shortage (compounded by the fact they are a small firm and don't place orders in quantities like most other car manufacturers meant they were last in the queue for shipments also stifling production)

And thus the choice to go German was basically forced upon whoever buys the cars for the prime minister, bit of a no brainer considering.

I will note also it does seem a little double standard that the prime minister vehicle isn't at the forefront of technology, id have expected them to have purchased an electric vehicle to promote the green agenda...

Last edited:
One of the cars he cancelled was the xj replacement that was due to be all electric, and was literally months from release.

If a model is on hold it's likely to be down to problems of one sort or another,

Many model changes from all these days are just spec related. Next step up is various degrees of body shape changes. Then comes a total redesign. Very costly which is why there are some cars around with different makers badges on them.

TBH I think Jaguar started loosing it's way long ago starting with Ford ownership. The X type was more traditional Jag - different but a bit of a rave from the grave type styling rather than just different to other makes. The XK was actually an Aston Martin design. I saw the original version at MIRA - a bit rave from the grave as it had the side vents some Aston's have had. Cheap for an Aston which is why Ford said give it to Jag. The side vents went and as everyone wants to sell to the USA in went a V8. Design wise now they just more or less follow the herd.

Exports. A German who ran a BMW was asked why he didn't buy a Nisan Rover instead. Fairly popular here ay the time. Answer couldn't afford too. True, false pass but distributor deals can result in that sort of factor. I saw a few UK cars for sale over there in the 70's. Upper end stuff but a lot more pricey than here. There was a period when people were buying UK spec cars from in the EU as they were cheaper. ;) Apparently sorted. Maybe they can't sell them now. I've never looked so pass.

Sponsored Links
Back