what notch sizes do you recommend?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone recommend the correct notch sizes for porcelain tiles (600x300) on plasterboard/ply walls and also for the same tiles (400x400) on plywood flooring?

Thanks ;)

Sponsored Links
Cheers, I had seen that though (6mm) but reading some of the information on BAL site etc, seems that walls and floors are different - and some say square and for other use U shaped!!

But if its a 6mm square all over thats easier for me!! Saves on another tool cost!

i personally would use 10mm for anything over 30 x 30

but each to his own

:cool:

Sponsored Links
At least 10 mm and then you'll probably have to butter some of the backs.The substrate is never as flat as it seems and with large format porcelain the slightest uneveness will give unsightly lips.
Is the plasterboard skimmed because strictly speaking you may have a weight problem.

Plasterboard will be all new (due to weight issues with currently plastered and painted) as I decided to rip it all off!! :)

Consensus seems to be 10mm square then - any other takers?

Nice tiling gcol. Shame you don't live closer to me eh!

If I read that link right, then I think its a 10mm square notched for the walls and a 10mm U shaped for the floor. Right?

Nice tiling gcol. Shame you don't live closer to me eh! If I read that link right, then I think its a 10mm square notched for the walls and a 10mm U shaped for the floor. Right?
I don't tile for a living anymore kev - found better paying work.

If you were to use a 10mm radius notched trowel for the floors , then I wouldn't tell anyone if you were to use the same for the walls. ;)
So long as your wall is flat enough so that your trowelled adhesive gives contact all over the back of the tile then it doesn't much matter what notch size you use (within reason). The smaller the notch you can get away with, the easier your tiling will be. The trick is to use the right size notch so that you get good contact.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back