What protection do pipes need if routed beneath plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

i am currently doing my bathroom and i need to have the pipes for the towel rail and the shower to be hidden in the wall so that i can then plaster over them.

my question is, what do i need to protect the pipes so they don't cause the plaster to crack when the expand and contract.

should i run the pipes inside some form of pipe? or are then any specific products that people know of?

need an answer asap so any help would be gratefully received.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Dunno if this is correct but I did the same in my bathroom; I dug channels deep enough to allow a good 20mm of plaster filling in and I wrapped the pipes in masking tape. Two years down the line there's no cracking at all and no sign of the channels.

PM me if you'd like to see some photos.

I expect somebody will come along and tell us that's wrong....

I bought some cheap overflow pipe, stuck my CH pipe in that, then into wall and plastered over - this was 5yr ago - still as good as new - so i reckon whatever suits you - although some people dont bother and use plasterboard instead of filling..

You can also cover the pipe chase with steel cable capping which allows the pipes to expand & contract behind the capping. Steel capping comes in several widths & is easily cut/bent to fit the chase. Cut the chase deep enough to allow around 6-8mm for Bonding & Finish plaster over the top of the cap.

It should be said that chasing walls to bury pipework is not ideal & you should be careful with horizontal chasses, go too deep & they will affect the strength of the wall.

Sponsored Links
Dunno if this is correct but I did the same in my bathroom; I dug channels deep enough to allow a good 20mm of plaster filling in and I wrapped the pipes in masking tape. Two years down the line there's no cracking at all and no sign of the channels.

PM me if you'd like to see some photos.

I expect somebody will come along and tell us that's wrong....
that is wrong on so many levels ;)

Just did my bathroom and added a new shower, the pipes only run for 600mm in the wall and my walls are brick (outside) cavity, the breezeblock, then plasterboard.

I cut the plasterboard to lay the pipes in, then chiseled the breezeblock to 35mm total channel depth, screwed the elbows (for the shower doglegs) into the recess and bent pipework accordingly, then where the pipes exit the wall (under the bath) clipped in several places making sure the pipes were central in the channel (6-8mm clearence all round) - out with a can of expanding foam (to both insulate and allow expansion/contraction & secure) and then put the cut-out pieces of plasterboard back on top which stuck back with the foam - sorted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back