What security light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please have a look at the photo. I need to install a security light or rather a light that comes on when my elderly parents either come down the garden path or go up the garden path from the porch behind the camera.

Image1.jpg

As you should be able to see, there is a large shed at the bottom and they come through a gate to the left of the shed. There is already a security light there that reliably comes on to light up the path to where you can see the birdfeeder station.

It is the steps, down and beyond that needs to be lit.

I'm trying to work out where to put the light or rather the sensor or sensors because there needs to be more than a reliable 180 degrees range. Does there need to be twin sensors and where would I position them and the light, if they have to be separate?

A link to a product or products that would do the job would be most helpful.

Thanks very much and hope you can help.

Sponsored Links
I had a similar problem, lights switching off en-route are more dangerous than not having a light, I did see a twin light in a garden centre, and that seemed to be an option, but to see ones way needs very little light, and although the light is enough to see with, the PIR either did not see me, or was switching on/off all night with slightest bit of wind.

I went for smart bulbs, so I can switch on from my car, or set a time for them to be on. Not been up long, but seem to be working well, getting power to bottom of garden would further improve things, but using a carriage lamp had removed the problem of dazzling me with lights which were really to bright. And at 24 watt the pair, I am not worried if the stay on all night, where with the original pair of 150 watt quartz halogen lights, did not want them on all night.

At front of house the whole lamp is integral so no option to fit smart bulbs, so I have used a smart socket so can still switch on from car. What I have not looked at is Smart motion sensors 1676366954691.pngit seems one can get best of both, and since battery powered it can be better placed to detect movement.

Thanks very much.

That could be a much simpler solution.

Sponsored Links
I have 2 of these. One in the bin area and one near the main gate to light up the pathway.
My 2 are the 'fixed' solar panel, not this one with the fly lead, but they are brilliant. I'm able to set mine for maximum sunlight so no problems with half cahrge or anything. With having 3 lights, (2 adjustable to various up/down/left/right angles), you can point them in almost any direction to want to illuminate and can set power level and time on etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back