What size drill bit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have to hang a blind, which has come with screws and plugs. However, whenever I drill, I never know what size drill bit to use. I always end up using one that is too small and have to do it again.

Is there a good way of knowing which size to use?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Often the drill size is printed on the plug, sometimes its done by colour....its not a bad idea to start off small anyway - that way, the drill wanders less and if the wall is soft you need the plug to be a tight fit.
For jobs like this, I generalise on 6mm stuff usually and prefer the Fischer make.
John :)

I never use the plugs supplied, as they are usually the cheapest most useless plugs available. My favorites are the rawl uno plugs.

As Burnerman says colour is often used to identify size;

Yellow=5mm
Red=6mm
Brown=7mm
Blue=8mm

Best I've seen is Alligator fixings, use same size drill as the plug, drill the hole twice the length of the plug and this will out-hold mechanical, chemical and epoxy anchors.

Sponsored Links
I never use the plugs supplied, as they are usually the cheapest most useless plugs available. My favorites are the rawl uno plugs.

Yellow=5mm
Red=6mm
Brown=7mm
Blue=8mm

Red is 5.5mm, not 6. Some companies make slightly larger ones which will actually work in a 6mm hole, but you should still use a 5.5mm bit for a proper hold.

Yellow=5mm
Red=6mm
Brown=7mm
Blue=8mm

Red is 5.5mm, not 6. Some companies make slightly larger ones which will actually work in a 6mm hole, but you should still use a 5.5mm bit for a proper hold.

Erm No
Both Rawlplug and Fischer red plugs require a 6mm hole! maybe with some cheepo ones you need to use a 5.5mm hole to stop them falling out!

Yellow=5mm
Red=6mm
Brown=7mm
Blue=8mm

Erm No
Both Rawlplug and Fischer red plugs require a 6mm hole! maybe with some cheepo ones you need to use a 5.5mm hole to stop them falling out!

Those are the companies I'm talking about. Red plugs were always 5.5mm except in brittle materials.

http://www.rawlplug.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=95&Itemid=34

5.5mm.

If the plug does not state which drill size to use, you use 5.5mm for red plugs.

I always try to use Fischer plugs, generally these red uns: http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-p...00/41044#product_additional_details_container

I am under the impression they are designed for 6mm holes but I always use a 5.5mm bit as you are less likely to have the plugs refusing to grip properly. So I am with Monkeh and Tinker on this one!

But as Tinker says. OP throw away screws/plugs supplied with most things you buy as they are invariably carp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back