What size trowel should I use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: Hi

I will be laying 30cm x 40cm Wickes Onyx (printed) Stone Effect floor tiles.

I will need a flat bed.

If possible I would like the height of the adhesive bed to be between 6mm to 10mm (10mm preferred).

What size notched trowel should I be looking at - also should it be "round" notches?

Many thanks.

Stephen

Sponsored Links
As I posted on your previous thread, a 10mm adhesive bed thickness is pushing it too far & will at best result in the finished tile surface looking awfull & at worst lead to tile failure. Apart from local filling/levelling, the maximum recommended solid bed adhesive thickness is 6mm. You should first lay a self levelling screed or quickset render/screed; it’s too thin for an ordinary screed which is likely to fail at that thickness apart from needing 3 weeks to dry before tiling! You could even fix some 6mm lightweight tile backer boards to bring the floor up to the required level then tile over that using a flexible adhesive & grout.

About the largest grooved trowel you will see is a 20mm x 10mm deep curved notch trowel @ 28mm centres & this will give an average solid bed thickness of around 3-4mm; try to achieve much more than this over the entire floor is likely to end in disappointment not even considering the additional cost of adhesive!

Thank you Richard, the penny's finally dropped.

I will now buy a 20mm x 10mm deep curved notch trowel @ 28mm centres.

I was trying to raise the floor for the WC / Soil pipe.

I'll see what I am left with and probably have to use plywood under the WC.

Thanks again.

I was trying to raise the floor for the WC / Soil pipe.
What’s the problem there then, a multi quick pan coupler will usually take care of far more than that?

Make sure you use a quality trade cement powder adhesive & grout not cheapo DIY crap.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back