What the hell am I doing wrong ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening Lads,
As self employed roof Slater/Tiler , I am feeling the squeeze just like everyone in the trades at the moment, I know it varies from area to area but even the scaffolding hire mob I use has rocketed over the last year. I was looking back at invoices prices over the last couple of years and even they seem to have gone up 15to20% … All I seem to be doing now is quoting for work, I have dropped my labour price but still cant seem to get much work . Out of ten Quotes I put out in July I got 2 jobs …Any advice on how to be more competitive . Maybe fool me but I cant see how other companies are getting the work and making money. I always try to quote rock bottom prices….. (PS) rant over. :D

What the hell am I doing wrong. I try to be as cheap as chips.

Regards, Tam

Sponsored Links
Now you've posted this, you'll get about 7 jobs all accept at once.

You're doing nothing wrong, good luck :)

Hey Mate I hope so ... I priced up a job up last Thursday and I was cutting it fine for the customer as I could do with the business ...Only to find she had another company starting the job today... Ether they were cheaper than me or she was just using me to see if she was getting good deal. Who knows ? lol

Is it possible you're quoting too low? People have a perception that the lowest price means poorest quality, and in these tough times paying twice is hardest of all. Try lifting your prices a little and see how it goes?

Disclaimer: you know your market much better than me, just my 2p worth.

Sponsored Links
cajar";p="2089967 said:
Is it possible you're quoting too low? People have a perception that the lowest price means poorest quality, and in these tough times paying twice is hardest of all. Try lifting your prices a little and see how it goes?
cajar";p="2089967 said:
Punters were always told to get 3 quotes and take the middle one. It is a stupid approach, but I beleive it os followed.

when you give a quote, is that just a total figure or do you specify what they get for their money?
Being more detailed in your quote than others could give you an edge. People, specially now, want to know what is and what isn't included in your price out a fear of being "ripped-off" in the end.

Hey Mate I hope so ... I priced up a job up last Thursday and I was cutting it fine for the customer as I could do with the business ...Only to find she had another company starting the job today... Ether they were cheaper than me or she was just using me to see if she was getting good deal. Who knows ? lol

Why not phone her and ask her?

Its always a good idea to phone & ask why you didnt get the job.
Just be polite & then thank them.

This applies when going for interviews also.

No one else has mentioned it & no offense is intended but have you thought it could be your personal approach. Customers can be very canny & will often pick up on even the slightest negativity weather it’s associated with confidence, indifference or, god forbid, desperation for the job.

I also place contracts &, all things being equal, a large part of what sways my choice will be how I perceive a person, how confident they come across & how they personally interact with me. Sometimes I even give em a gentle poke (metaphorically speaking) to see how they react; the last thing I want is some beligerant git working for me.

Tried that, 10 yrs ago, no chance.

Something may've gone wrong 10years ago for you, but people these days are much more 'service-savvy'.

They watch all these Dominic Littlewood progs (others are available) and are more tuned-in to a competitive market.

Not something I've tried, but I'd give it a go, even just out of curiosity.

Hello again guys and I appreciate all your input, To answer some of your questions, Ok yes I do call some customers up and ask how my quote fared up against others that they might have had in a polite manor, Also I understand that body language can speak volumes and some customers don't want to feel like they have called a desperado :) .. I always state the exact work in my Estimates so there is no confusion to the customers. Also I have tried going in cheap on contracts and also gone in expensive. I still dont seem to get much jobs at the moment .... The sites have almost died or have around my way so I don't think I have much choice give it another month and if I cant get my income sorted I will go back on the books.... Not something I want to do.

I cant be the only one who is struggling. Everyone I speak to in the trades almost mirror my situation. Its no joke work is short at the moment...I only hope we are not going to have a repeat of the 80s

Hello again guys I cant be the only one who is struggling. Everyone I speak to in the trades almost mirror my situation. Its no joke work is short at the moment...I only hope we are not going to have a repeat of the 80s
the 80`s will be a walk in the park :cry: This government is DESPERATE :idea:

Sponsored Links
Back