What the hell why dont they work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The light doesn't work in the downstairs loo, it used to but not any more, changed bulb but still doesn't work.

The light in the utility has also stopped working, thought I may have a fuse tripped but no.

Any ideas on what the issue could be

Sponsored Links
A wire has broken or come adrift somewhere.

You need to trace the wiring of your lighting circuit and find the problem, and you need to do it asap, as it could be a fire risk if a partial connection develops which causes sparks.

A wire has broken or come adrift somewhere.

You need to trace the wiring of your lighting circuit and find the problem, and you need to do it asap, as it could be a fire risk if a partial connection develops which causes sparks.

agreed

your lights will be on a radial circuit so wil go from room to room like:-

kitchen-living room- study- toilet- .........sure you get the idea

so if you get a wire out of a terminal at say the living room point, then the living room,study and toilet will also go out.

fault more than likely to be at a lighting outlet point so drop the cieling roses off ( after disconnecting the power) and have a looksy.

bans right about the urgency too.

changed the bulb?
was this new Lamp (Bulb) a KNOWN good one? i`ts amazing how many people call me out and they`ve just put a new duff lamp in

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses,

Ebee, yes I took a known good bulb and that doesn't work

I have removed roses but nothing obvious, also found out my tester isn't working so thats not helping.

There's a fan in downstairs loo as well, could that cause an issue

The fan per se couldn't be causing this, but depending on how it is connected into the lighting circuit it could create another point where wires could have come adrift, e.g. at a junction box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back