What to do - Plumbers cause leak . .ceiling sodden

3 weeks sounds a long time, if that was actual working days, and not waiting for other trades.

Not really, I have done a en-suite in 6 weeks, but it was about 4 times the size of a nomal bathroom. :D

Sponsored Links
3 weeks sounds a long time, if that was actual working days, and not waiting for other trades.

Not really, I have done a en-suite in 6 weeks, but it was about 4 times the size of a nomal bathroom. :D

I said sounds a long time. :rolleyes:

The OP is happy with their work to date, and they certainly seem reputable, in the way they handled the problem.

Don't be too keen on getting insurer's decorators to do the job. If they are anything like the insurer's plumbers that I have seen, you are better of giving the 12-year old next door a tenner and a pot of paint.
I have been in the trade for a bit, and I have not come across a single decorator who did a job better than I could do myself. Half the time, if not more, the paint starts to flake within the year.
They either use "trade quality" paint (which means cheap crap) or they can't be bothered to sand, degrease and prime properly.

Update - plumber is contacting his insurance company to discuss the damage at my property.

When i asked him what the cause of the problem was he said that it wasnt the shower fitting they had put in but an existing joint that they had not touched. He said the pressue from the pump had caused the joint to give way.

Now i am not sure if this is the case or not but i get the feeling he is looking to blame the existing pipework and not the work his lads did as a get out clause.

Could he claim that this was not his fault and avoid having to claim on his insurance?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like they are trying to squirm out of it.

Had it been my problem I would have made absolutely certain that the client was shown the leak, if it was on an existing pipe/fitting because;

A. it would be chargeable, possibly.

B. it gets them off the hook.

I would ask to see the fitting in question.

Don't forget to take a photo whilst he's showing you.

Thanks for the replies chaps . .heard back from the plumber and we are meeting next Monday with his loss adjustor so seems he accepts that they were at fault.

He came around on Tuesday and had a look at the damage to the cieling. I have expected him to say he'd bypass his insurance and get some of his decs in to sort it. Took one look and said the cieling needs replacing - not just a simple paint job.

The carpets in the bedroom and landing got soaked but cant see any damage / shrinkage . .they are getting replaced in a few weeks anyways but would have been nice (for me ) if damage was sufficient to warrant the insurance paying out and covering some of the costs.

Thanks again

Just don't tell him you were going to replace them.

Whatever next. :rolleyes:

doitall - the plumber isnt aware that i am replacing the carpets its just that, although the landing and bedroom carpets got wet, there isnt sufficient damage to warrant him paying out on them.

They have dried out quite well and only a small section (maybe 1m2) was affected.

I think the works they will agree to do are replastering the landing wall they hacked through to access the pipework and redecorate. As for the dining room cieling to be replaced and full decoration of the whole room. Carpet wasnt affected although the water was dripping through the light fitting so will look for them to replace that also.

I think the works they will agree to do are replastering the landing wall they hacked through to access the pipework and redecorate.

Presumably the pipes are still visible in the hole ?

If so can you take and post a photo on here so we can see which fitting may have been leaking.

Tony[/b]

They replaced the plasterboard and sealed off the hole so the pipework is no longer exposed.

They finished the ensuite and bathroom refit yesterday and it does look superb. The 2 blokes doing the job werent the quickest but have done a great job - rather them take their time and get it right. Price was fixed so no concern over daily rates etc.

Hopefully the work to sort out the dining room wont take too long and they can crack on with it asap.

Thanks for all you advice.

Bit of an update - contractor came around this afternoon with the loss adjustor to see the extent of the damage. Loss adjustor to file a report and i should hear back in a couple of weeks if they agree to do the repairs etc.

Contractor was also present and came with the invoice for works they carried out. Now given that the insurance people have not confirmed whether or not they agree to carry out the repairs should i withold paying the contractor until i have written assurance that the damage will be put right?

Thanks in advance

Bit of an update - contractor came around this afternoon with the loss adjustor to see the extent of the damage. Loss adjustor to file a report and i should hear back in a couple of weeks if they agree to do the repairs etc.

Contractor was also present and came with the invoice for works they carried out. Now given that the insurance people have not confirmed whether or not they agree to carry out the repairs should i withold paying the contractor until i have written assurance that the damage will be put right?

Thanks in advance

Too right, every penny.

And don't touch any of the repairs or damaged goods as they have a habit of coming back, and saying where is the damage, it becomes their property, when they except the damage.

One should pay when the job is finished. This job will be finished when making good is completed. It would be nice if you send a letter to the builder assuring him that final payment will be made as soon as making good is completed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back