What to do to this wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Stripping out my bathroom, currently taking off wall tiles but loads of the event underneath the tiles came off so I stripped the bigger wall to the bare brick so I will dot and dab using moisture resistant plasterboard.

To the wall on the left, I'm currently taking tiles off and similar is happening (see pics). Should I also strip this wall to its bare brickwork and dot and dab this wall also? Or should I just plasterboard up to where the bare brickwork can be seen.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You only need to remove blown plaster from the wall and leave any sound plaster then dot an dab plasterboard

You only need to remove blown plaster from the wall and leave any sound plaster then dot an dab plasterboard

Ok cheers. So that 2cm thick brown plaster you can see has to come off so I can dot and dab?

You only need to remove any loose plaster from the wall before dot an dabbing

Sponsored Links
You only need to remove any loose plaster from the wall before dot an dabbing

Okay. In this case would I just knock off the plaster that can be seen in the pic, to make it a straight edge, and just cut an appropriate size plasterboard so that it goes to the ceiling? Or shall I knock it off and board all the way up to the ceiling, from the floor? If I put board over it, the rest of the wall will be at a different level (protrusion from wall)

If your dot an dabbing the whole wall it makes no difference what sound plaster that you leave on as the plasterboard adhesive will take up the difference when you push the board on to the wall

If you do go with a mixture of original plaster and newly dot/dabbed MR board, make sure scrim tape is used at the join.
Prob ok where the join is under tiles, but any joins not under tiling that will be skimmed, then these must have scrim tape over the join.
The differing backgrounds could expand/contract at different rates and you may get a crack at the join over a period of time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back